doublesuper8 ektachrome

Guest shutter bug

Guest shutter bug

a buddy of mine just sent me an email saying some guy called john swind is selling double super8 ektachrome. so i guess this stuff could also be cut into super8 or single8 for reloading. i thought id let folks know. i think ill be converting the ole h8 i have ling around and getting to take 16mm lenses. add a tobin and away i go!

Wittner already supply 100d in super 8 carts, why mess around loading your own?. J.Schwind, i believe still has double super 8 k40 on the shelf, why use a poor substitute (100d) when theirs a better stock available. The only beneifit (imo) with the ds-8 format was, not so long ago k25 was available in the format, by using using k25 you obtained unsurpassed super 8 images, something now lost forever.

Edited by k25rip

Guest shutter bug
Wittner already supply 100d in super 8 carts, why mess around loading your own?. J.Schwind, i believe still has double super 8 k40 on the shelf, why use a poor substitute (100d) when theirs a better stock available. The only beneifit (imo) with the ds-8 format was, not so long ago k25 was available in the format, by using using k25 you obtained unsurpassed super 8 images, something now lost forever.

several reasons.

firstly, kodacrhome is basically dead.im not going to beat a dead horse so i will plan to use what is available,not what i wish was available.

some people use single8 cameras. i know of quite a few that wanted to get ds8 film so they could slit it and load their cameras.

some people had the old 200ft mags. these people wanted to be able to load these mags with more than 50 feet. they found its generally cheaper to process longer amounts of super thats not in a cart (surcharge for breaking a cart i guess too).

as for me and a few others, we want to actually be able to use ds8, so the cart will not suffice.

i checked and he has sold out of the kodachrome and he does sell the ektachrome in ds8. its a forthcoming witter product.

Hi, ok i agree k/c is dead. I still cannot understand why everyone raves about the 100d, i have used it, i would like to see kodak release the stock in the super 8 format, but there are sharper 100 asa reversals out there. As for single 8, Retro Enterprises should be bringing out a fuji 100 stock, this stock will be sharper than e100d. imo, 100d is overrated!!

Guest shutter bug
Hi, ok i agree k/c is dead. I still cannot understand why everyone raves about the 100d, i have used it, i would like to see kodak release the stock in the super 8 format, but there are sharper 100 asa reversals out there. As for single 8, Retro Enterprises should be bringing out a fuji 100 stock, this stock will be sharper than e100d. imo, 100d is overrated!!

well, im not sure if you noticed, but not once did i rate the ektachrome. also,if its the only game in town (at least for ds8 users) then one really cant bitch. yeah retro might have a nice shiny new stock coming out but cost is also a factor. ive noticed some people sell stock at such a high price that with processing its damn near the price of 16mm. at that point its worth going up formats. especially when processing choices are not nearly as limited as they are in super8.

id like every neg and every reversal stock to be available in super8 and ds8. will it happen? who knows.

Guest filmfreund

k25rip,

there is a Fuji 100 ASA solution by Retro 8 in Single 8 cartridges. You can see it in the next issue of smallformat and schmalfilm magazine. It is Astia 100F. There is also Provia 400X and T64 Professional - all Fuji film stock.

I see on another forum that the said ds8 e100d is actually a kodak manufactured product, with a kodak cat number, is this the case??. If this is true i am staggered that kodak have cut a ds8 reversal given the format is probably less popular than the super 8 cartridge.. Though not a great fan of 100d, i will use the ds8 offerring. Had planned to sell my bolex ds8 when my k25 runs out, looking though i need to keep the bolex and sell my super 8 cams instead. I assume theirs no more news re 100d in the super 8 cartridge being released by kodak?

• Premium Member
I assume theirs no more news re 100d in the super 8 cartridge being released by kodak?

I just saw some regular 8mm Ektachrome D transfer work that Spectra did for a Bob Dylan / Scarlett Johnansson production. (the DP and Director are well known as well) Really lovely images throughout.

Just as I was sold on that, Spectra then showed me some Super-8 negative 200 that had a very tight grain and really nice contrast. I liked both looks yet they were as different as night and day.

I think Ektachrome 100D will be a fine stock if and when it is officially released in Super-8.

• Premium Member
I see on another forum that the said ds8 e100d is actually a kodak manufactured product, with a kodak cat number, is this the case??. If this is true i am staggered that kodak have cut a ds8 reversal given the format is probably less popular than the super 8 cartridge.. Though not a great fan of 100d, i will use the ds8 offerring. Had planned to sell my bolex ds8 when my k25 runs out, looking though i need to keep the bolex and sell my super 8 cams instead. I assume theirs no more news re 100d in the super 8 cartridge being released by kodak?

The current (July 1, 2006) Kodak catalog lists KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film 5285/7285 as available in only 35mm perforated BH-1866, and 16mm perforated 1R-2994.

Kodak is still evaluating the business case for offering 7285 in Super-8 cartridges, which I have heard is unfortunately not very strong. Should know in a month or two. For now, some repackagers are offering 7285 in Super-8. Even less likely that Kodak will sell 7285 in DS8 or Regular-8 formats directly.

• Premium Member
The current (July 1, 2006) Kodak catalog lists KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film 5285/7285 as available in only 35mm perforated BH-1866, and 16mm perforated 1R-2994.

Kodak is still evaluating the business case for offering 7285 in Super-8 cartridges, which I have heard is unfortunately not very strong. Should know in a month or two. For now, some repackagers are offering 7285 in Super-8. Even less likely that Kodak will sell 7285 in DS8 or Regular-8 formats directly.

The business case should recognize that one lower ASA film stock, in either negative or reversal, is essential to those who want to shoot super-8 regularly. Most don't think the 64T is the answer, and since it's been shown that the 100 D is a tighter grained stock than the 64T, the only reason I can see to not switch is Kodak is concerned that too many automatic super-8 cameras will overexpose the 100D when shooting during the brightest part of the day because many auto cameras won't go much beyond f-16.

I have a couple of ideas I'm mulling over for a super-8 feature but I most definitely would require one of the following, 50 ASA negative, the ektachrome 100d, or if I have to, the Velvia 50 or 100. I'll find it ironic if I end up only having the fuji to choose for my outdoor scenes.

John, your joking, please say your joking. I know a few users of super 8 all of them including myself think 64t is a terrible stock. I have fuji 50 on back order since may 2006, now 100d from Wittner and Andec on back order, seems demand for these stocks are high as suppliers are sold out. Why cant 64t been ditched in favour of 100d?. Is kodak trying to kill off super 8 reversal by not offering users what they want?

For now, some repackagers are offering 7285 in Super-8. Even less likely that Kodak will sell 7285 in DS8 or Regular-8 formats directly.

So the 100' spool of 7285 100D DS8 that I eagerly await has been repackaged? Someone punched some super 8 holes on 16mm?

I'm OK with that as long as it works.

I want to punch my own holes, were can I get a DS8 perf puncher? That would solve alot of problems. "The DS8 perf puncher club". Yeah.

Edited by Peter Tripodi

I have a couple of ideas I'm mulling over for a super-8 feature but I most definitely would require one of the following, 50 ASA negative, the ektachrome 100d, or if I have to, the Velvia 50 or 100. I'll find it ironic if I end up only having the fuji to choose for my outdoor scenes.

I know what you mean, right now 200T is the strongest S8 film that is offered by Kodak. It's a great film for many uses, but there is need for something solid in daylight like 7201, or 7285. It would give us a lot more confidance when pitching freelance work involving S8 aesthetics.

Thinking about it, i can see why kodak are cautious in considering releasing 100d in the super 8 format. Too many people say they will use the stock, then back pedal when the products released. Just look whats happened to Small Format, 25% of subscriptions not paid up, trust was put into persons to honour the subscriptions, tooooo much talk and not enough action from some persons of the small format community!

Ironic that Fuji stock both in the super 8 cartridge and single 8 cassette seem to be the best option for a reversal emulsion the 8mm format these days.

• Premium Member
Thinking about it, i can see why kodak are cautious in considering releasing 100d in the super 8 format. Too many people say they will use the stock, then back pedal when the products released. Just look whats happened to Small Format, 25% of subscriptions not paid up, trust was put into persons to honour the subscriptions, tooooo much talk and not enough action from some persons of the small format community!

Ironic that Fuji stock both in the super 8 cartridge and single 8 cassette seem to be the best option for a reversal emulsion the 8mm format these days.

I can refute both of your premises.

In the first instance, I purchased the first issue, then I ordered a subscription. Because it can take up to two months for the issue to arrive, I didn't want to bother them like some people have who sent emails once a week until they got their magazine.

So I lost track, but I never received issue number two, am I in that 25% group you speak of?

Secondly, the fact that TWO Super-8 magazines came rising out of the ashes of a format that was proclaimed dead FIFTEEN YEARS AGO is a huge reason to be FOR the addition of a lwe ASA but high quality film stock.

When you wrote "too much talk and not enough action" I thought you were talking about Kodak sticking with the 64T when they have two superior options instantly available to them.

Here are possibly the two real reasons Kodak is reluctant to make a move that would probably double their super-8 sales. More super-8 usuage does not increase the demand for the Spirit and the Shadow telecine workflow that Kodak helped create. Most Super-8 to video work goes to anything but Spirit and Shadow telecine, whereas a lot of Super-16mm and 35mm transfers will be transferred by Spirits and Shadows.

Secondly, there is a chance that many automatic Super-8 cameras won't handle the mid day sun properly and will produce poor results from a combination of overexposure and very high f-stops of f-16 and over.

If Kodak is still making a lot ot their sales from people who rely on automatic exposure readings generated by the camera, than that may be what is driving their decision to not bring out a better low ASA stock than the 64T.

What Kodak could do if they brought out the 100D is add a two dollar premium to each cartridge and insert a neutral density filter equivalent to 1.5 f-stops, this would help prevent overexposure caused by there just being too much light.