Why do they do this?

• Premium Member

I was looking through my local rental house's catalog and whereas HMIs where always advertised as

5600K, ( a number I've known since my first ASC manual 20 yrs. ago) the "daylight" Kinos are advertised

as 5500K. Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to make it such and if so, why?

(I remember that the 5600K was defined as daylight at 11:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C. - in Spring

I think - so I know that daylight is subjective and also that there's a difference I believe between

daylight and skylight, the latter I believe being bluer because it's got more UV bouncing around.

Yes, "bouncing around" is rather untechnical so please correct me as necessary.)

Thanks.

• Premium Member
I was looking through my local rental house's catalog and whereas HMIs where always advertised as

5600K, ( a number I've known since my first ASC manual 20 yrs. ago) the "daylight" Kinos are advertised

as 5500K. Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to make it such and if so, why?

(I remember that the 5600K was defined as daylight at 11:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C. - in Spring

I think - so I know that daylight is subjective and also that there's a difference I believe between

daylight and skylight, the latter I believe being bluer because it's got more UV bouncing around.

Yes, "bouncing around" is rather untechnical so please correct me as necessary.)

Thanks.

It may just be that the fluorescent tubes they are using have a mix of phosphors that produce D5500K. I believe that is a commonly used lighting condition that tube manufacturers try to match:

• Premium Member
It may just be that the fluorescent tubes they are using have a mix of phosphors that produce D5500K. I believe that is a commonly used lighting condition that tube manufacturers try to match:

Thank you, John. Now, although you've answered my question and this detail may not be important;

I'm curious as to what the "D" in "D5500K" represents. Should I/do I need to know when buying tubes?

Edited by Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

Thanks.

I think that I may have heard "sunlight" (not "skylight") compared to "daylight."

• Premium Member
Maybe you heard all three. I always thought photographic daylight is sunlight plus skylight combined.

"Photographic" daylight is 5500K.

Doesn't really matter because Kino 55's almost always look cooler than HMI's, and HMI's can be anywhere as high as 6000K, and they all are bluer than sunlight!

Look at the color balance specs for 5201 (50D) stock and see that it is balanced for 5500K:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...4.4.4&lc=en