shooting live performance with XL1/XL2 + P&S

Lav Bodnaruk

Hi there, i have recently posted a topic in general discussions about this particular event that i am to shoot in October, but am now placng a topic in this particular part of the forum for I am very interestd in covering it with the XL1/XL2 with P&S adaptro and some fast lenses? I guess what i would realy like to hear is from someone that has used either of these cameras with the adaptor and can tell me what they think of it? Also, how much light do they generaly require (to the nearest F stop) and weather you would do the live performance with them or any other CCD camera/Digi betacam.

The event itself is to take place in the Brisbane Powerhouse theatre stage and i wish to use about 3-4 cameras to cover 2 nights - 1 camera on crane, 1 on steadicam and 2 on the seats across the stage filming this 25 piece band.

Any info would be awesome! Cheers.

PS. here is the link to my previous post that explains the actual event to a bit more detail:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=15951

Why not rent some better cameras? Say, some SDX900s? The Mini35 stuff requires a LOT more light and focus is extremely difficult, certainly not lending itself to live music.

ash =o)

Hi Ash,

thanks for the post. I guess that is the kind of advice that i was really after, seeing what people that have done a live event would do it on. my initial thoughts went to digi beta's but in attempting to keep the budet down we thought we consider the mini 35 which i never worked before... i knew lights would be a factor, but i have no idea how much more light it may be required to operate them properly...

thanks for the input mate,

I did a DigiBeta shoot down under and it was very reasonable compared to the states. If you are doing 16:9 I would try to get some SDX900s, they are really great SD cameras and the post with DVCpro is still pretty easy...

ash =o)

I did a DigiBeta shoot down under and it was very reasonable compared to the states. If you are doing 16:9 I would try to get some SDX900s, they are really great SD cameras and the post with DVCpro is still pretty easy...

ash =o)

Thanks for the advice Ash, i will definitely look into the pricing of the SDX900s! I hope we can afford to get enough to utalise both the steadicam and the crane i might be able to get for the couple of nigts. :)

Cheers,