super 16 frame vertical hold

Guest Melissa North

Guest Melissa North

Hi,

Ive just seen the telecine rushes of a short film I recently shot on super 16 on an Aaton LTR.

At the start of numerous takes, the bottom half of the frame is at the topof the screen and the remainder underneath it. It only stays like this for a moment and then smoothly moves up so that the frame is normal and complete.

It only lasts a moment and Im quiet certain it wont be a problem in editing, but I am curious as to why it is happening.

The camera when you first click it over to start rolling, sometime takes a second to get to speed - you can hear it - but surely what Im seeing has happened at some stage after going through the gate right?? but where?

Mel.

• Premium Member

Verical hold?

I can't imagine it's the camera... if there is a frameline then the film was registered and exposed properly in the gate... so the information is on the negative...

Sounds like a misconfigured telecine.

You should definetly confer with the lab.

- nathan

• Premium Member
Yea, to me it sounds like a telecine problem. I have seen this before when supervising a session. But I've never seen it layed down to tape that way.

Yes, it's probably just the telecine guy rolling tape and THEN framing up the shot correctly. I'd check with the colorist.

Guest Melissa North

Thanks Guys,

Will speak to the telecine on Monday.

Any ideas as to why it only happens at the very start of takes though?

Also for the second or so that it takes for the camera to get to speed when you initially start rolling, the film is rolling through the gate at a slower rate right, so the first second or so of the take is slightly fast motion right?

This isn't really very important, Im just curious.

Also if your battery is low, does the film start moving through the gate at a slower rate or does it stay at the correct rate and then just suddenly stop when its out? Again just curious.

Mel.