Moving the monitor timecode location

John Morrison

Have been through the menus to the extent I am comfortable and was wondering if there is a way to move the timecode out from the top of the screen to the bottom. All of our producers rave about the ability to read the time code on the monitor, then complain about its location. thanks jm

I know one producer who was very specific about where the timecode would appear on screen for just the same reasons. We bought a Horita timecode burn-in box, took the TC feed out of the camera and did a burn in sized and placed just how he liked it on the monitor. I think the little box only cost about $200 and made him a happy man. I strapped it right to the top of the field monitor and it took seconds to set up.

Hey all-

I've got my SDX hooked up to an external monitor right now running from the video out and my TC is on the lower 3rd. Through the "USER (VTR)" menu, I've choosen output select >> output character >> TC.

Dont know why it would differ from camera to camera but, who knows?

-Evan-

• Premium Member

My SDX also displays timecode on the lower third. I will review the menus and see if there is a way to adjust this. Perhaps it is a software glitch with your camera? Try resetting to factory settings and see if anything changes.

Chris Bell

Seattle

This is from the Goodman's Guide to the SDX-900, talking about the Output Character setting:

"In TC mode, where the time code display appears in the picture is determined by the ID POSITION setting; time code will be centered on the bottom when ID POSITION is set to UPPER R or L and centered on the top when ID POSITION is set to LOWER R or L"

ID POSITION is located in the Main Menu, under VF >> VF Indicator 1

A brand new SDX-900 says that you have this set to LOWER...give that a look-see!

-Evan-

Hi folks,

My feeling on this is that you need to try the little box that Mitch offered up. There really is no way to change the location of the Time Code. For a while there I was begining to doubt my initial post but I didn't have a camera to play with. Then the post from Evan that quoted the Robert Goodman book saying that it was possible. Well I now have a camera and I have Robert's book and what Robert was referencing was Time Date data, not Time Code. There is no way to change the position of the Time Code Display.

Sorry,

Jan