DOP's

Ruben Guevara

• Premium Member
Im in love with films, and im sure that everybody does, but what is so unique in Photography that makes you put your whole live into it?

Since you're a DP, maybe you should answer that question first.

I think Kubrick answered a similar question with "It's like asking me why I love my wife. I could say she's attractive or fun to talk to, etc. but I'm not sure that would really explain it." (I'm paraphrasing grossly.)

Im in love with films, and im sure that everybody does, but what is so unique in Photography that makes you put your whole live into it?

Similar to David, that's a difficult and complicated one to answer. All I know is that I am happiest when I am on a film set and I don't really know why (maybe it's a chemical imbalance ;) ). I love the challenge and the collaboration and the sense of accomplishment when you make a movie or even just pull of a really nice shot or lighting setup. I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

• Premium Member
At a panel I sat for a particular school they asked me "what is the difference between a cinematographer and a DOP?? I still don't know. Anyone?

It's an academic argument that matters more to some people (like Vittorio Storaro) than others. "Director of Photography" in particular is the Union designation, but for the most part, they are interchangeable titles.

On the internet, it's just faster & easier to type in "DP" or "DOP" than "cinematographer"...

It's an academic argument that matters more to some people (like Vittorio Storaro) than others. "Director of Photography" in particular is the Union designation, but for the most part, they are interchangeable titles.

On the internet, it's just faster & easier to type in "DP" or "DOP" than "cinematographer"...

I teach my students to use the terms interchangeably, but have been told by some old timers that they believe the term cinematographer should be used for a DP that also is the camera operator.

Similar to David, that's a difficult and complicated one to answer. All I know is that I am happiest when I am on a film set and I don't really know why (maybe it's a chemical imbalance ;) ). I love the challenge and the collaboration and the sense of accomplishment when you make a movie or even just pull of a really nice shot or lighting setup. I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Just like you said. I feel the same. When I'm lighting a set or thinking about some camera shoots is when I feel that I'm giving the best of me. Hours pass as minutes and every shooting day seems to be short.

(This is my firts reply, and I will accept grateful any corrections about my english. Thanks and read you all!)

As with everyone on a film set, choosing a job in this industry on any level is more of a lifestyle choice than it is about the job. Granted, you have to love what you're doing because getting to that point is difficult enough. It isn't like other careers where you go to school and get a degree that people care about. Particularly when it comes to below the line, nobody seems to care if you went to filmschool or not. It's all about what you can actually do and the kind of person you are.

Devoting 14 hours+ a day for three months isn't for those just casually interested in any of the jobs on set. There really seems to have to be an inherent desire, as if there is actually nothing else one can do in life, to make a viable career a reality. For me, apart from a couple of restaurant jobs in High School and a short time in college, I've never had a "real" job. I've never wanted one and I'm not really qualified for anything else. I did get offered a staff job as a cameraman at a production company a few years ago, but turned it down. The money offered was too low anyway, but the thing that really clinched it for me was when the guy said I'd get two weeks of vacation. I'm rather used to taking days off when I want them, not when someone else tells me I can or can't. Maybe I would be making a steady paycheck, but the I'm used to the lifestyle that freelance affords me. I like shooting and am working toward larger (better paying I hope) goals, but it's the sense of freedom of working for someone else that is part of the appeal for me. Add that inherent desire to be creative and here I am.... :)

• Premium Member

being sat at a camera when its just about to start rolling. . . I dont know, its just a great feeling of being part of the best creative process going.

Its also worth noting that, with sites like these, you see how many of us are happy to share our experiences (big and small) with each other. Not too many careers prompt that sort of co-operation. :)

Being a DOP is totally different from what I thought it was.

When I see films, I almost see it as downloading peoples souls. Precisely why I've never liked any of the teen type movies. (However I DO protect them and I won't attack them)

With teen type movies, I'm certain the crew don't really give a damn about the script. If I was suddenly put into the Fast and the Furious, I'd do it for the experience, not exactly something I'd feel passionate about though. I'd love the whole movie-making process though.

But hey what would I know, I'm not a DOP.