Arri 2C training?

Nooman Naqvi

The IIC is a very simple camera. A while ago the manual was posted here. If you have some basic understanding for motion picture cameras you will be fine after reading the manual. Be sure to use batteries with the correct voltage (16V) as this is the most common source of problems when shooting with a IIC.

• Premium Member
Is there a place or a gentlemen in Chicago to whom I can pay and learn basic operations (familiarize myself) on the Arri 2C?

You might try asking around if there's an experienced 1st AC who can run you through basic 2C operation. I figured mine out by myself because I live in the backwaters here in OK but there's got to be a least a few old hand AC's in Chicago with hands-on 2C experience. If you strike out, you might ask on the AC Forum here if there's an AC in the city who can help you.

One thing I did do with mine was get a roll of junk film and practice loading mags and threading the camera until I was blue in the face (and red in the fingers). It would be worth the money to buy a short end of film to have something to practice with, older emulsion short ends and recans can go pretty cheap on eBay.

• Premium Member
Is there a place or a gentlemen in Chicago to whom I can pay and learn basic operations (familiarize myself) on the Arri 2C?

A 2C is pretty cheap to rent. There are a number of rental houses in Chicago(SMS, Fletcher, etc.). If you rent one for a day or two, the folks at the rental house can show you how to load the camera and run it.

• Premium Member
Hal, I went to ebay for Arri 2C 400ft magazine, didnt find any there. Can you point me to a cheap place to buy one?
They show up on eBay on a fairly regular basis - keep looking, do searches in "All Categories" for "Arri" and "Arriflex" both. It might be worth a call to Visual Products, they can be a bit high on prices but back everything they sell 100%, I've got personal experience of their willingness to make sure the buyer is happy.

An afterthought: Threading the magazines goes a lot easier if you cut the film off square and exactly between sprocket holes. I don't have one but I believe Arri actually makes a gauge you can use in a changing bag to assist in trimming the new roll of film at exactly the correct place. Does anyone out there know what Arri calls them and what they cost?

An afterthought: Threading the magazines goes a lot easier if you cut the film off square and exactly between sprocket holes. I don't have one but I believe Arri actually makes a gauge you can use in a changing bag to assist in trimming the new roll of film at exactly the correct place. Does anyone out there know what Arri calls them and what they cost?

These things are called ARRI Film Cutting Gauge. I never used one but they sure are a helpful tools for starters.

99% of the Kodak rolls i ever loaded were cut through the holes but it's a different story with Fuji.

Nooman:

Filmstock can easily be torn apart by hand at the sprocket hole. With a little experience you can do this in the changing bag to get the end to thread easier. You can practice that with a shortend and see if it works out for you. If doing this when loading be sure not to get any filmchips into the magazine.

• 1 month later...