Travel tips for super 8 filmmaking?

Kent Balas

Thought i'd post a couple in a row, gotta let everyone know i exist! haha

I'm off to Japan for the winter and I'm planning on taking 2 nizo cameras to capture the magic. Does anyone have any tips / tricks when traveling and filming. I know it would be much more sensible to use digital, but super 8 cameras are just so damn cool. I reckon it'll spin out the japanese. I guess this doesn't only apply to super 8, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kent Balas

Thought i'd post a couple in a row, gotta let everyone know i exist! haha

I'm off to Japan for the winter and I'm planning on taking 2 nizo cameras to capture the magic. Does anyone have any tips / tricks when traveling and filming. I know it would be much more sensible to use digital, but super 8 cameras are just so damn cool.

A lot of us feel this way about super 8 but what kind of tips are you looking for exactly? FedEx your footage back to the lab as soon as its shot and don't carry it around Japan for months. Never check your film and camera always keep it as a carry on item. is that what you are asking for?

Here's some that work for me:

* Label everything with your name and a contact number! Especially films. That way if something goes missing or gets left behind somewhere, there's a chance you might get it back.

* Carry spare batteries

* Carry a blower brush to get dust etc off the camera, especially the lens

* Check your lens before each use. I have taken some good shots only to have them somewhat lowered because some specs of gunk got onto the lens that I didn't notice while filming.

* Put the camera in a plastic bag inside your camera bag. It's an extra layer of protection.

* keep films in the fridge

* check ther fridge before you leave anywhere.

* if serious about record keeping, log each shot in a book or pad or something.

* keep your camera handy in case something unexpected turns up. (Check the attachment, it's a frame grab from DV, 'cause the '8mm was packed away).

Cheers,

JohnB

post-9914-1155793380.jpg

A lot of us feel this way about super 8 but what kind of tips are you looking for exactly? FedEx your footage back to the lab as soon as its shot and don't carry it around Japan for months. Never check your film and camera always keep it as a carry on item. is that what you are asking for?

Nothing too specific I guess, whats here is great. I was thinking of taking a dv camera too. getting travel log style footage on that, when something more visually appealing comes up film that on super 8. Also I'm after an incident light meter, if anyone has one they want to sell let me know.

I just did a vacation with both a Beaulieu 5008 and a DVX100a (and a dat recorder) and I think its good to have booth but I didn't like carrying around all that stuff. less / Smaller gear would have been a really good idea. I hope you are not carrying everything with you all the time.

Guest Sasuke
I'm off to Japan for the winter and I'm planning on taking 2 nizo cameras to capture the magic. Does anyone have any tips / tricks when traveling and filming. I

If you have timelapse on your camera use it. Get in a taxi and ride through downtown Tokyo at

night. Roll down the window, rest your camera arm against the door and point the lens uo towards

the bright neon city lights. Use some Kodak Negative film for this. When you run out of film go

here and buy more :

http://film.club.ne.jp/english/englishindex.html

They can also process your Kodak 64T reversal - SAME DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As well as

custom loaded Fujica Single 8 reversal film stocks. ;)

There will aslo be a few festivals with locals wearing cotumes with bright colors. Shoot some of that stuff.

Post some footage stills when you get back. HAVE FUN !!!!!!

If you have timelapse on your camera use it. Get in a taxi and ride through downtown Tokyo at

night. Roll down the window, rest your camera arm against the door and point the lens uo towards

the bright neon city lights. Use some Kodak Negative film for this. When you run out of film go

here and buy more :

http://film.club.ne.jp/english/englishindex.html

They can also process your Kodak 64T reversal - SAME DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As well as

custom loaded Fujica Single 8 reversal film stocks. ;)

There will aslo be a few festivals with locals wearing cotumes with bright colors. Shoot some of that stuff.

Post some footage stills when you get back. HAVE FUN !!!!!!

Cheers guys, great tips - i'll do it all and post the results