Green screen stages in LA?

bragis chut

Hi all:

I've been working on a 35mm short and we need to pick up some inserts and FX shots on a green screen stage. Anybody have any advice on finding a relatively inexpensive stage in the LA area? This is a fairly shoe-string budget project.

Thanks,

--Gallantyne

You could try www.laurelcanyonstages.com one nice thing there (other than the people) is that they also have a bunch of lighting/grip gear right there which can be negotiated in with the stage. The screen is sometimes not green though - so you need to find out (like most stages) if you'd need to paint it.

And it's tall...

there are a bunch of other GS stages around for various shoots.... I will tell you what I did recently which worked... famously for a cheap set up. I rented a theater www.whitefiretheater.com and brought a 12x12 greenscreen there and all my lights and such and just shot there. there are lots of theaters which will rent for a very low amount of money without all the extras from normal film shoot stages. The whitefire owner was SUPER nice and easy going... you can tell either of these places that you got the info from Mark Allen in an online forum.

Most stages don't sell themselves as "green screen stages" as that would limit their work and rental possibilities. A green screen 20x,12x, and 6x are relatively cheap to rent.

If you really had a shoe string budget, you could take Mark's step a bit further and just use any warehouse or large space you can get for cheap. With all sound, lighting and electrical supplies considered.

If you are in the middle of a shoot, you may have all the gear you need. If you don't, shooting at a stage with lights and electric availble may be easier and cost effective.

Best

Tim

You could try www.laurelcanyonstages.com one nice thing there (other than the people) is that they also have a bunch of lighting/grip gear right there which can be negotiated in with the stage. The screen is sometimes not green though - so you need to find out (like most stages) if you'd need to paint it.

And it's tall...

there are a bunch of other GS stages around for various shoots.... I will tell you what I did recently which worked... famously for a cheap set up. I rented a theater www.whitefiretheater.com and brought a 12x12 greenscreen there and all my lights and such and just shot there. there are lots of theaters which will rent for a very low amount of money without all the extras from normal film shoot stages. The whitefire owner was SUPER nice and easy going... you can tell either of these places that you got the info from Mark Allen in an online forum.

Thanks for the reccomendations. I will certainly look into Laurel Canyon stages... although I'm not sure about the theater idea. I get that it worked for you, but I think we'll need a cyc for what I have in mind so it may not work for me... But thanks all the same.

--Gallantyne

• Premium Member
You could try www.laurelcanyonstages.com

Not a bad idea. I just did two days on a commercial, and for the two days before that they were shooting at laurel canyon stages doing some Motion Control work, and I believe it was green screen, so it may still be green. You might be able to save a few bucks on paint....