Still Photography - Film and Processing, Lenses etc.

Josh Hill

• Premium Member

So I've been struggling with whether I should use some of this spare cash (and by spare, I mean a tuition deposit I'm getting back after my fellowship) to buy a digital SLR but instead I opted to get a lens or two for my Canon SLR and take some shots with good ole film (to be scanned and printed later, no prints).

But I'm in a new city (New York City) and don't really know where quality developing comes in. Since I'm going to be using C-41 film, for the most part (maybe some slide film and definitely a little black and white), I'd like to find a lab that has a little bit better quality control than your average Duane Reade. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good lab (that would do professional quality prints if I happen to take something worth printing) on Manhattan?

Also, what film would you recommend for 35mm (and to a lesser extent 120)? I prefer a high saturation, high contrast film but any recommendations would be great.

And if anyone has experience with the EF mount lenses for Canon EOS cameras some suggestions there would be great as well.

Hope to hear back from y'all. The City is exciting, especially with the prospect of having some motion picture labs less than a thousand miles away (as was the case when I was in Texas), so I'll probably be doing some 16mm in the near future. For now, I'm just looking to capture some of the city on still film.

• Premium Member

Welcome to the city, give me a call or e-mail if you need anything, introductions etc...

Duggal is the premier lab, I suppose, in the city. I use Spectra as they're closer to where I work. They will do all the odd processing things I ask for and take whatever format I send them. But thats for color negative. I process all my B+W at home.

For color neg I use a lot of Kodak Ultra Color 400, but I also shoot quite a bit of Elite chrome and have it E6/C41 cross processed. For B+W I shoot a lot of Tri-X and Neopan 1600. I'm getting ready to experiement with stand processing in Agfa Rodinal with Fuji Acros... it should be interesting... high dillutions and long developing times with little agitation....

I have a 20D, but I only have the 50/1.8 which is only 70 bucks and has a nice flare... it's plastic and throwawa but it's fast and reasonably nice, otherwise I have an EF-mount lensbaby.. but once you get up into L-series lenses you're out of my ken.

- nathan

For chromes go with fuji. I recommend both Provia and Astia (im not a big fan of velvia). For print I would recommend Portra NC. Its a nice low contrast film that gives pastel like colours. Ilford HP5 and both tmax and trix are good b&w films. For lenses I would stick to primes. Canons 50mm is too cheap to pass up. Throw in a 24mm and 85mm or 100mm and you will have a standard wide-medium-long setup. If you want to go with zooms I wouldnt get anything other than L. Canons supposed to be releasing a new 70-200 4L so the old ones will be going for pretty cheap on the used market.

ps

Look on ebay for cheap expired film. I picked up 100 rolls of 120 provia for 100$ not too long ago.