printing light

I don't understand the question. What do you mean by "leave the roll as it is?" Do you mean if in mid-roll and you switch to a new situation and you don't shoot a new grey scale?

David,

No. But I am adding your question as well.

My original question was

If one 'shoots one gray scale at the head of the roll, in "white" frontal lighting' and 'sign with a note explaining the look of the scene if necessary like "COLOR: GOLDEN LATE-AFTERNOON" or "COLOR: BLUE MOONLIGHT", etc.'

Would the colorist not perform any changes in the roll?

• Premium Member

The colorist would do what you told him to do -- so if you told him to time for the grey scale, he'd do that. The color note after the scale is just to explain to him more clearly what he is seeing when the scene comes up, in case he thinks something is wrong if everything looks orange or blue. Normally he wouldn't correct it anyway if you told him to only time for the grey scale, but you never know, it doesn't hurt to be more clear (maybe he skipped the grey scale by accident, I don't know.) Also, the sign explaining the look might also be useful for people watching dailies to know that this is supposed to be a dark blue moonlight scene.