Why don't we see more of each other's work?

Andrew Means

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE talking shop, but one thing that's surprised me a great deal about this board is how rarely anybody shows what they've been working on. I engineer and produce music and am on a messageboard for music engineers, and we're constantly sharing clips of our music and dissecting them, asking 'how'd you achive X or Y effect?', 'what mic did you use with that setup?', 'what process did you use during mixdown?', etc.

I guess I'm just curious as to why we don't do that more? I just shot some footage of my friends and I jumping off our sailboat and I plan on posting it as soon as I get it telecined, and asking for critiques - watch focus here, see how it's overexposed there, etc. In the pursuit of actually becoming a better filmmaker.

I know lots of you are professionals, and it's probably not kosher to be showing the dailies from your latest feature, but I can't be the only one here who's a hobbyist/enthusiast. Or am I?

While it's fun to pontificate about pushing Super8 to its max or the differences between Super8 and 16mm, sometimes it seems like we'd all learn more if we talked a bit less and shot more!

There are issues even with ameture film makers. I can't put up my 'Sleep' short when it is finnished because of film festival rules (wouldn't want anyone to think this counts as 'internet exibition')

But I got you covered, I will have some dailies posted on it (for the final film, you will have to go to a film fest, unless one decides to put it on their website. apparently its ok if they do it.) look for them mid oct, early nov.