DVD Extras

Steve Denny

The majority of commentaries on DVD extras tend to be from the Director/Actor(s).

Please feel free to post your favorite DVD's that include DP commentaries. I find myself renting any movie that has this feature and I find them infrequently. Maybe you'll list some I haven't seen.

Thanks.

There was a thread in the archives about this a little while back, take a look and see if you can find that. Two commentaries that quickly spring to mind are Darius Khondji on the "Seven" DVD and Matthew Libatique on "Requiem for a Dream".

Also, Criterion is a company that's been good about supplying extras that include the input from DP's, including a handful of commentary tracks. More often they've got great interviews with cinematographers like Robby Mueller talking about "Down By Law", Raoul Coutard on a number of Godard and Truffaut discs, Vittorio Storaro talking about the lighting in "8 & 1/2", Henri Alekan on "Beauty and the Beast", and a wonderful documentary about Jack Cardiff on the "Black Narcissus" DVD. They're also getting cinematographers involved in supervising video transfers for a number of their films which is a marked difference from the general approach that the major studios take towards their transfers.

On the Fargo Special Edition DVD there is a commentary track with Roger Deakins which I like. Also, though not exactly a commentary track, on the American Beuty DVD there is a section where Sam Mendes and Conrad Hall talks you through story boards for parts of the movie.

Which DVDs with DP commentaries have you seen?

• Premium Member
We dont get that collection over here , but your dad did a fantastic job on that film . John Holland , London.

We do, but it is horribly expensive if you buy it in a store. If is much cheaper to buy it over the internet from the US. Places like www.dvdpricesearch.com are a good starting point for the best deals.