Short Film

Jimmy Ren

Hello everybody. I made this short film with a couple of buddies of mine in the middle of nowhere. It's a silly, little horror movie (surprise, surprise!) that was inspired by Japanese horror movies, which I've always loved. I guess that's a fancier way of saying I shamelessly ripped from them (you'll see what I mean). Anyhow, I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Be brutally honest. And when I say "brutal" I mean, "be nice." hahaha. j/k.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2656622

Thanks!

Guest LondonFilmMan
Hello everybody. I made this short film with a couple of buddies of mine in the middle of nowhere. It's a silly, little horror movie (surprise, surprise!) that was inspired by Japanese horror movies, which I've always loved. I guess that's a fancier way of saying I shamelessly ripped from them (you'll see what I mean). Anyhow, I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Be brutally honest. And when I say "brutal" I mean, "be nice." hahaha. j/k.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2656622

Thanks!

Well, hmmmm......I thought it was rather good actually. Yes, nice. Sure it could improve. Some things I'd do and some things I wouldn't. I think the plot and story would need re-working to work better, but, yes, congratulations on a nice job.

What type of equipment did you have in the way of dollys, steadycams or lights.

I used a Sony VX2100 to shoot the movie. For lights, since we were out in the middle of nowhere, I used portable, battery-operated handlights from Home Depot. They were cheap, which fit my budget nicely. For the tracking shots, I used a dolly and track system that I built for the movie.

I enjoyed it.

The only thing I would have against it, technical wise, is that the camera angles and cuts don't exactly match my pallette. They seemed a bit bold and didn't flow enough.

Other than that, worth watching.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. I was wondering what camera angles and cuts didn't work for you. I'd like to know and hopefully improve my work for future projects! thanks.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. I was wondering what camera angles and cuts didn't work for you. I'd like to know and hopefully improve my work for future projects! thanks.

It was the small things that aren't directly noticeable, but just give a movie that special touch.

For instance, I think some of the shots should have been handheld as opposed to on a tripod. i.e. When the guy was trying to get the other guy to help him drag the body back to the car, it seemed a bit of a panicky moment, and a static shot looked a bit boring.

And I think the speed of the cuts could have been worked on a bit. When they are running back to the car, the speed of the cuts is pretty much the same throughout the movie. Where as I would have thought in a fast paced heart pumping part like that, they would have maybe been a lot faster.

I'm not trying to attack it, just saying how I think it could be improved.

One thing in particular I did think was pretty awesome, was the background music. How did you get all those tracks? ESPECIALLY the sound clip at the beginning where the girl turns around and finds the ghost sitting in the front seat. That part was pretty sweet.

So, could be improved on, but I think it was a good piece of entertainment.

I have to say that this movie was pure crap. I nearly threw up after watching it. I must agree with Daniel when he said that your shots were completely jarring and didn't flow well at all. I think his assessment was spot on when he said that you should have gone handheld with the more panicked shots. I don't have any idea what you were thinking. Obviously, you either didn't plan out your shots or you don't have much experience. But I suppose it's good that you are trying (and I emphasize trying) and are learning from this forum. Take my advice (and the advice of others) to heart. I am not trying to attack your work, I'm only trying to provide you with constructive criticism. Good luck on your next project. I think you'll need it.

I also have to mention that your lighting was subpar. You should hire someone who knows what they're doing. I don't think you should have gone with your "Home Depot portable lamps" even if your budget didn't allow for it. Peace out.

Well, hmmmm......I thought it was rather good actually. Yes, nice. Sure it could improve. Some things I'd do and some things I wouldn't. I think the plot and story would need re-working to work better, but, yes, congratulations on a nice job.

I have to agree with LondonFilmMan. Structually, your story was as sound as a three-legged dog. You have a lot to work on.

I don't know why you have to be so hateful. Yea, I agree there is a lot to work on, but by sitting on the side and not making any films, how is one to improve. I don't think the film was intended to win any awards, just something to do on an open weekend.

John, I doubt they were ready for industry lights and a 10amp geni, I think the home depot portable lights were fine, if that is what they want to use.

But I will admit, it was hard to watch all 15 minutes. Stay away from films this long unless you really believe you have a 15 minute story to tell.

"...after he was done with her, he cut off her face, and stabbed her legs..." That was funny.

In the end, she was just a confused little girl who needed help.