Feedback on my reel!

You absolutely have to change the music. It's seriously distracting from your work by making an instant connection to the Sopranos.

My opinion on reel music is that its best to use something that's not too obtrusive and not very recognizable. That way the viewer concentrates on the images but has something in the background to keep the reel flowing without drawing their attention away from the images (which is what you want them to see, right?).

Having some more shots from other work also would be nice, but I understand if that's not yet possible.

Hi,

I think the pixelated nature of the youtube image is also distracting, there are artefacts all over the shop. Maybe you should find a better venue so that you can use higher resolution compression. Also I think you need to shoot more films to obtain more diversified images.

Hey all...first DP reel here, so it's nothing amazing, but any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEOMR59YWTE

Thanks alot,

-Andrew

Hey Andrew,

A little constructive critisism for your reel. Your images are quite nice, and they seem well lit with good camera movement. It's a really good starting point to begin with. As a suggestion, try to choose some different music. When cutting a reel together you want it to be interesting and edgey. Image wise, the shots all seemed pretty much the same. There were no particular shots that stood out ans wowed me. Try to put some of that in there if you can, show people you are unique in your lighting style. Also it was apparent that these shots all came from the same project, if they didn't, it does feel like they did. A reel is to showcase all the different levels you are familiar with, so the more variety in your footage the better. I want to give you the website for a goodfriend of mine so you can look at his reel and kind of get an idea of what i'm talking about. www.ianstakahashi.com . Please understand I'm not trying to cut down your reel in a bad way, but just give you positive reinforcement of ways you can try to improve it. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

Mike