Cost of Telecine

Ryan Bates

Hey Everyone,

What is a reasonable rate to spend per hour on telecine, and how low is too low? Can someone also explain to me the difference between one-light and best-light and if it's significantly better to do a best-light. Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hey Everyone,

What is a reasonable rate to spend per hour on telecine, and how low is too low? Can someone also explain to me the difference between one-light and best-light and if it's significantly better to do a best-light. Thanks.

Hi,

I don't know where you are based but you should be able to get a good telecine off peak in London for £250 per hour, for an attended transfer. As a student you might get it free if your lucky!

A one-light pass means set up the first shot and run the film, a best light should be corrected as scenes change, worth paying extra for IMHO.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Ryan , if you get your neg correctly exposed which is good practice [ Gordon Willis A.S.C did that on the "Godfather "] might get away with one light pass . John Holland , London.

Hi John,

That's what has changed in the last 20 years!

We used to only get one light rushes, and got judged every day on our work!

Stephen

Yes Stephen , i know but still good practice to try hit it on the head . Boring i know but when i first started at a doco. company in Old Bond Street , it was only Reversal 25asa , which was then printed on some sort of Kodachrome print stock , had to get within 1/3 of stop to end up with a good print . Ah those wernt the days quite scary . John Holland . .

• Premium Member
Yes Stephen , i know but still good practice to try hit it on the head . Boring i know but when i first started at a doco. company in Old Bond Street , it was only Reversal 25asa , which was then printed on some sort of Kodachrome print stock , had to get within 1/3 of stop to end up with a good print . Ah those wernt the days quite scary . John Holland . .

John,

I shot about 200,000' 7240, I know what you mean!

Stephen

John,

I shot about 200,000' 7240, I know what you mean!

Stephen

That was 125 asa wasnt it , we used that too , but didnt print to well . 200,000 , did you have shares in Kodak ?. I think shooting H.D. now , is quite like lighting for reversal , prehaps a bit more forgiving,? John Holland .

• Premium Member
That was 125 asa wasnt it , we used that too , but didnt print to well . 200,000 , did you have shares in Kodak ?. I think shooting H.D. now , is quite like lighting for reversal , prehaps a bit more forgiving,? John Holland .

John,

Thats right 125 asa. BBC news & current affairs paid the stock! It was about £43 a 400 can! Processing was on demand 18 hours a day at Television Center, I always used to wait for 20 minutes to see the results!

Stephen

I was so happy when i was let loose on colour neg , could light the way i wanted to and not restricted to lab demands saying , we cant print that got some hot areas in it . We better stop this , sounds like old mens club . Just wish i had what we have now 20-30 years ago , its seems so easy now . John Holland .

I was so happy when i was let loose on colour neg , could light the way i wanted to and not restricted to lab demands saying , we cant print that got some hot areas in it . We better stop this , sounds like old mens club . Just wish i had what we have now 20-30 years ago , its seems so easy now . John Holland .

Yeah I think we've gotten off topic guys. Lol.