Angenieux 25-250mm -- HP vs. HR

Guest ReadyTeddy

Guest ReadyTeddy

Just trying to do some research on these old zooms and find out what's what.

I know they are available cheap. That usually means that they are either totally out of fashion or totally crappy. I don't mind being out of fashion, but are they still useable?

Zoom lens design has come a long way in the past 30-35 years... but how do these lenses compare to each other (is the HP any better or worse than the HR? Specifics would be appreciated.)

Ho well do they perform on the wide, medium and long end stopped down into the middle aperture range (5.6, 8 or 11)?

I tend to not shoot wide open or rack or zoom a lens very much while I am filming.

I have an old Arri 35 and shoot with Cooke Speed Panchros as my primes because I like the warm, shimmering look they give, especially in daylight. When they are stopped down they can also be fairly sharp, although their contrast is not very high.

Do the old Angenieux zooms work well with them?

• Premium Member
Just trying to do some research on these old zooms and find out what's what.

I know they are available cheap. That usually means that they are either totally out of fashion or totally crappy. I don't mind being out of fashion, but are they still useable?

Zoom lens design has come a long way in the past 30-35 years... but how do these lenses compare to each other (is the HP any better or worse than the HR? Specifics would be appreciated.)

Ho well do they perform on the wide, medium and long end stopped down into the middle aperture range (5.6, 8 or 11)?

I tend to not shoot wide open or rack or zoom a lens very much while I am filming.

I have an old Arri 35 and shoot with Cooke Speed Panchros as my primes because I like the warm, shimmering look they give, especially in daylight. When they are stopped down they can also be fairly sharp, although their contrast is not very high.

Do the old Angenieux zooms work well with them?

Hi,

The old Angenieux 25-250 T3.9 ($300-800) on Ebay is acceptable at best if you stop down a couple of stops. They breath like hell. I dismantled one to use the glass as a prop!

The Cooke Zooms from the 1970's, 20-100 (slight breathing) & 25-250 (breathes like hell, not so good @ 170mm) are way better, and can be used today. They will cut well with the Cooke Speed Pancros, the Zooms are probably sharper!

Stephen