Super 8mm DI

Toy Spears

Hello,

I have scanned the footage for my super-8 2K research project (Halogenuros short-feature) in Park Road Post (ex-The Film Unit) in Wellington New Zealand. They have a Spirit1 DataCine with the super-8 plate adapter and can output 2K DPX files or HD signal (to HDCCAM SR).

Regards,

Daniel

• Premium Member
Hello,

I have scanned the footage for my super-8 2K research project (Halogenuros short-feature) in Park Road Post (ex-The Film Unit) in Wellington New Zealand. They have a Spirit1 DataCine with the super-8 plate adapter and can output 2K DPX files or HD signal (to HDCCAM SR).

Regards,

Daniel

Peter Jackson had to have had his hand in this.

And this goes to my theory that Mr. Jackson snuck in a couple Super-8 shots in among those completely unrecognizeable a 1/3 of a second or less P.O.V. battlefield shots that are simply a blurry mess of action in which nothing is really recognizeable. Each battle had several dozen of these types of shots and it wouldn't surprise me if ONE of those types of shots was shot with a super-8 camera.

Now to be clear, I'm not implying the wide angle full view battlefield shots in Lord of the Rings was shot in Super-8, I'm suggesting that their may have been ONE up close, hand held, "I can't tell what I'm looking at because the shot is too short and too fuz" shot was shot on a super-8 camera.

Hello,

I would say "2K DI" refers to a "digital intermediate" film post-production done at 2K data resolution.

For example :

1/ film scanned to 2K , RGB , 10 bits logarithmic scale (DPX files)

2/ post-production operations such as conform, digital compositions, grading etc done at 2K uncompressed.

3/ 2K final sequence recorded out to 35mm.

Some productions prefers to scan the footage (as 35mm) for example to 4K resolution but then the resolution is lowered to 2K for the rest of the DI. This allow to get more resolution but, less than a true 4K DI. (4K is now becoming a reality for some high-end productions)

In super-8 world, when using a Spirit(1) DataCine you can get the Vertical Resolution of 2K, but unfortunately the Horizontal resolution is interpolated to 2K.

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Henriquez Ilic