A fully functioning RED Camera Package

Joe Taylor

When the RED is released, what hardware wil be needed just to have a functioning package? The camera seems rather small, and lightweight, but once you have a media drive lens' and so forth, will it be possible to have camera that is still 'run & gun?' This is important for the type of documentary storm chasing work I do. I need soemthing I can grab from the bag and start shooting with.

I have inquired several times with RED, but never get a response. Has anybody actually seen this camera yet?

Thanks

When the RED is released, what hardware wil be needed just to have a functioning package? The camera seems rather small, and lightweight, but once you have a media drive lens' and so forth, will it be possible to have camera that is still 'run & gun?' This is important for the type of documentary storm chasing work I do. I need soemthing I can grab from the bag and start shooting with.

I have inquired several times with RED, but never get a response. Has anybody actually seen this camera yet?

Thanks

No, nobody has seen one because it hasn't been built yet. The question you ask has no answer until the product exists, only speculation.

No cameras exist at the moment and they designs are changing. No one has even seen the current design.

But, in theory, you would need to add a lense and capture medium which presumably will be a custom hardware solution.

I am hoping it comes together successfully and the sooner the better, but I absolutely would not remotely make any production scheduling decision based on it at this point.

• Premium Member
But, in theory, you would need to add a lense and capture medium which presumably will be a custom hardware solution.

That and all the accessories will add quite a bit to the price of the cameras. A lot of prosumers will be quite surprised by what a good set of 35mm lenses costs, hence all the questions about using inferior stills lenses.

Thanks

Just send a PM to Jim Jannard and ask him. Or send in your $1000.00 deposit, many on the forum already have.

R,

Okay, I'm going to PM Jim Jannard about this right away, I'll also ask him about single-frame capability. B) Then while I'm at it I'll be sure to PM Steve Jobs about Mac compatability with the RED. Okay, I'm on it. :P

Jim Jannard does answer personal email, but I'd wait until after IBC and the promised RED website update on September 8th to see if your questions are answered.

Greg... thanks for the help. We are buried getting ready. Not much spare time. Many of your questions will be answered at IBC and on our website on Sept. 8. But not all of them. We have chosen to be an open book in development. That is the good news for us because we have received some valuable input. Bad news is that the expectation is, in many cases, that we should have all the answers and share them. We aren't done yet. But showing 4k footage and a brand new set of prototypes should show that we can, and will, make it. The workflow will be discussed as will the changes in the camera, cages and other accessories. Biggest news is the footage.

Thanks for your patience.

Jim

Edited by Jim Jannard

Seriously... I did not EVEN see this coming. I was only joking about contacting these folks and meant no disrespect to Jim Jannard or anybody. It is not often when a household name actually talks with everybody else. A very classy and wonderful thing.