REDCODE = 216 megabits/second@24fps

RED DRIVE 80GB@$1,000

I'm going to reiterate some of that:

REDCODE (10 bit wavelet) = 27 MB/seccond @ 24 fps

UNCOMPRESSED (12 bit raw) = 323 MB/s @ 24fps

FireWire 800/400, USB-2 and e-SATA interfaces

RED-DRIVE™ hard disk drive (40 – 160GB)

REDFLASH™ flash memory (32 – 128GB)

Where did you get the price quotes on the lense and drive?

Is 10k a lot for a lense? Seems like a good cine quality zoom would be in that range, no?

As for the 1k for 80 gig - if that means 160 gig for 2k... that's pretty cool. That's a ton better than the HVX storage solutions.

So - using the red-drive and red flash you would get:

REDdrive

raw:

2 minutes to 8.25 minutes

wavelet:

24 minutes to 98.76 minutes

The RED flash would be about 3/4 of this

The thing I've not visually grasped yet is how that shoulder mount works at the same time as the cage - just keeps seeming like the cage would hit your head. Would be curious to see that in use so I understand it. Not that I do much or any shouldermount stuff, but it would be interesting to see.

And just to appease the masses. Yes... the camera is not built yet. It is purely an inention, a goal, a hope. It's a work in progress and everyone including the RED team themselves will not only acknowledge this but tell you flat out that it's a really difficult thing to do.

Can someone explain what this means from an aesthetic point of view?

Dynamic Range:

> 66dB

• Premium Member
Is 10k a lot for a lense? Seems like a good cine quality zoom would be in that range, no?

Although I presume that a lot of prosumers are going to be shocked by the price, 10K is quite cheap for a brandnew a zoom lens. Although I don't have the exact price, I would presume that the 17-80mm Optimo is at least 4-5 times as much. But with the Optimo you're getting a top notch zoom lens which is nearly as fast as a prime (T2.2).

I'd be interested in more details about this Red zoom lens. Weight and minimum focus for one. Also whether it is purpose build or just rehoused stills glass and how bad the breathing is (which isn't really an issue with the Optimo for instance).

I thought the camera was supposed to shoot 4k at 60 frames per second rather than 24. Thats the whole point of going digital so we can increase temporal resolution which will be good for action movies. But nevertheless if the camera can shoot 2k at 60 frames per second that will still be a good thing.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> RED DRIVE 80GB@$1,000

Woah, that'd better be some very, very special hard disk.

Or is it, as I suspect, a completely bog-normal hard disk in a special case marked "RED" and priced accordingly?

Get real.

Also - this "red rail" thing had better just be normal mattebox rods. Anything else, not being compatible with x^y other accessories out there, would be grotesquely stupid.

Quite like the cage idea.

Phil

Hi,

> RED DRIVE 80GB@$1,000

Or is it, as I suspect, a completely bog-normal hard disk in a special case marked "RED" and priced accordingly?

It's fair your doubt but I ask myself if is it fair to think that a laptop spinning drive may handle 27MB/s?

A better strategy for Red would have been to reveal the projects existence at IBC along with the footage. A lot of rubbish could have been prevented that way.

Hopefully Jim still reads these forums. If so I just want ask a very simple question that will satisfy the issue I currently have seeing as I can't get any sense over at the other place.

Is the rail mount that is currently on the Red website the general purpose shoulder mount that has been mentioned in the past, or is another one also in development? I know you've said that things will change, and thats great. But will Red offer a general purpose cage/shoulder mount that will offer pefect balance and have the ability to be tripod mounted and demounted quickly?

Has anything firm been decided as far as viewfinder options go?

> RED DRIVE 80GB@$1,000

I just don't understand the pricing for all these "HD" hard drives coming out.

I can buy a 500 GB 3Gb/second SATA II drive for $278 here in Toronto. If a single drive wasn't fast enough to keep up with that data stream, you could string 3 together in a RAID configuration and have one and a half terabytes of storage for $834 in drive costs.

I'm sure all the firestores and red drives of the world have some fancy electronics, but $$1000 for 80 gigs? You can't even buy 80 Gig drives where I shop for PC parts, they are so obsolete.

Can someone shed some light on why they are giving us thimble-fuls of storage when we need buckets (or barrels)?!?

• Premium Member

Hi,

The point is that all that intermediary software and hardware should be part of the camera, or a semipermanently-attached add on to the camera. The actual interchangeable storage media should be as minimal as possible, and given that we're hearing about a data rate that's just about achievable for a single 2.5" disk, that's what I based the comment on. Even given that there might still be an interface board involved, 80Gbyte for $1000 is insanity for a normal hard disk.

I suspect what they might be doing is making each mag a three-disk RAID-5 of smallish, circa-20Gb NAS drives. This would provide very good performance. Unfortunately there's almost any number of options here which could justify or not any price point they cared to name.

Phil