Questions about Aaton LTR 7

Zachary Vex

I have a few questions about this camera, which is a super 16mm piece.

1] What is the speed range? Is it crystal sync at 24fps?

2] Is there any concern with adaptors, say Arri B to Aaton (one comes with this particular camera)?

3] If it has been serviced at the factory in France within the last 3 years and passed the registration tests, is previous service history an issue?

4] What disadvantages are there to an LTR 7?

• Premium Member

Hi,

I don't have any answers to your questions as I'm primarily a video shooter, but I just wanted to say that your Whoolly Mammoth was by far the most fun guitar pedal I have ever owned. It sounded great with my Gibson Les Paul and Mesa Trem-O-Verb 212 Combo ("Stu-G" wanna be!)... I unfortunately had to sell a lot of my guitar gear when I became serious about camera work, but I'll be a Z-Vex customer again in the future, no doubt. Anyways... Thanks for creating your unique line of effects pedals for discriminating guitarists~! I think they're great!!! Have fun with Super16mm!

Rock on, Brian

I have a few questions about this camera, which is a super 16mm piece.

1] What is the speed range? Is it crystal sync at 24fps?

2] Is there any concern with adaptors, say Arri B to Aaton (one comes with this particular camera)?

3] If it has been serviced at the factory in France within the last 3 years and passed the registration tests, is previous service history an issue?

4] What disadvantages are there to an LTR 7?

Number 1

The LTR7 speed range is from 6fps to 32

Yes it is crystal synch in three modes 24fps, 25fps, and 30fps

If you get a Speed Controller you can shoot it lower than 6fps, but not higher than 32fps.

Number 2

You want to get an adapter that is well calibritated...

You can check it at your local camera rental...

Eventually you might want to change the mount to a PL mount too...

Aaton mount lenses are rare (even though an Aaton mount is a good, sturdy and versatile mount.)

Number 3

Not really...

You should talk to the service center however

They will tell you everything that's up with this camera and ect...

However 3 years is a long time the camera may need a check up.

Number 4

Well the biggest is that's it is an old camera and parts are rare...

Because of this it's expensive to service this camera.

The other big sticking point is that you can't do any overcranking with this camera

So no slow motion shots at all.

Anyways

Good Luck

Hi Zachary,

I have an LTR 7:

-Yes it is sync at 24fps (and 25).

-Mine came with that same adaptor (and Aaton mount), but I never tested it, I got the camera converted to PL mount as soon as I got it by Visual Products, for between $500/1000 (I cant remeber exactly how much, it was a long time ago) if you can afford it I strongly reckomend you do the same.

-My LTR 7 only goes from 18-32 Fps, I think some later ones might go higher but I think thats might only be the LTR 54.

-The only drawback with the LTR 7 is that it doesn't work very well with some standard accesories, it doesn't have a 15mm rod mount on the front (like the XTR does) it has that wierd old style square rod, you will need to get a support rod system which fits on the square rod and has 15mm rods attached: (www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail02.asp?productID=683&Cat=3&Cat2=33) I have looked around but they cost around about $500 everywhere. Also the hole for the tie down-screw is placed quite far forward on the bottom of the camera, which can be a problem with aligning certain baseplates. My Cam. has no Aaton- code, but it never really bothered me at all (neither does an SR2).

-About the service history, I found out a lot about my camera before I bought it (call Able Cine Tech NY or LA, at some point they probably serviced it if it's in the US, if not ???) just get the serial numbers and do yor best research. I dont know what else to tell you about that, except you're probably never going to know the cam's entire history so at some point if you have it checked and it is in good condition now, don't worry too much about the history.

In general I reckomend this camera, it works really well, and is a beautiful little camera (quiet too) you should def. expect to put some money into getting it up to scratch (PL mount, Overhaul, Support rods etc..) which you may not have to do with newer cams, but then again they are cheaper to buy so it evens itself out.

Good luck, if you have any more Q's feel free to ask me.

Cheers.

Number 1

The LTR7 speed range is from 6fps to 32

Yes it is crystal synch in three modes 24fps, 25fps, and 30fps

If you get a Speed Controller you can shoot it lower than 6fps, but not higher than 32fps.

Number 2

You want to get an adapter that is well calibritated...

You can check it at your local camera rental...

Eventually you might want to change the mount to a PL mount too...

Aaton mount lenses are rare (even though an Aaton mount is a good, sturdy and versatile mount.)

Number 3

Not really...

You should talk to the service center however

They will tell you everything that's up with this camera and ect...

However 3 years is a long time the camera may need a check up.

Number 4

Well the biggest is that's it is an old camera and parts are rare...

Because of this it's expensive to service this camera.

The other big sticking point is that you can't do any overcranking with this camera

So no slow motion shots at all.

Anyways

Good Luck

Rik,

Do you have an LTR 7 (if so what is the serial number)? I'm wondering why mine only goes from 18-32 fps?? are you talking about if you have an external speed control you can go 6-32, because without external control my cam only does 18-32?? Mine is a very early 7 it's serial number is 007 (I think, im not by my cam. right now) maybe the later ones can go from 6-32?? I have heard that there were some changes made to later models of the 7?

Hmmm interesting, also, I forgot to mention one drawback is that the groundglass is not easily interchangable like in the XTR, you have to open the whole thing up and have it re-centered when your done.

Cheers.

• Premium Member

Number 7?

Cripes... is it like carved out of wood or something?

With the rapidity that Aaton would change small design changes, by the time you even got to camera 100, it'd be a relativly different camera. #7 probably has more in common with an Eclair than an LTR54.

Rik has an LTR... that I should be seeing this week... riiiiight Rik?

Number 7?

Cripes... is it like carved out of wood or something?

With the rapidity that Aaton would change small design changes, by the time you even got to camera 100, it'd be a relativly different camera. #7 probably has more in common with an Eclair than an LTR54.

Hi,

No...its forged entirely out of bronze! haha, like I said it may not be #7 but it's a low number, I cant check right now I dont have my cam with me. It's actually not too outdated at all, the only problem I ran into was the groundglass being harder/more complicated to remove than the later models, but even that didn't bother me too much. I had the whole thing upgraded/overhauled by Visual Products so they changed a few older parts to newer ones for me. The cam is very good and runs really well though. like I said the only real problems I had were the tie down screw placement and rods attachment.

Cheers.

Tomas, I have an high LTR-54 serial number c1242

Actually they call it an LTR-X cause it's got the same XTR motor...they say...

I thought that the LTR-7 could go as low as 6fps...

But if you get a speed controller I'm sure you can take it down that far.

And I'm trying to do it this Wed...

Provided I don't have work...I just might send Roy over with it instead...

See ya