Calculations

Hi,

I'm interested in what other AC's are using to calculate DOF, splits, etc. in the field. I have worked with 1st's who use the SameCine-II.

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/sammkiidepof.html

Also people use the palm pilot program. Which one are you using and why?

- I think the Sam is rebust and doesn't rely on batteries.

- But using the palm pilot, you can store the CAM data and its a little more intuitive.

Thanks

Matt

I used to carry a Palm with David Eubank's software (http://www.davideubank.com/). Although the software is really powerful, the Palm is too vulnerable for field work. I'm back to my Depth Of Field charts that i downloaded from the ARRI website and printed out. I carry it in a folder in my bag. I like the paper chart best, because it lets me compare different settings right next to each other without extra calculations.

Edited by Daniel Stigler

I got a rental catalogue on CD from Panavision that includes a variety of calculators for cinematography. Also, Panavision has a catalogue designed for one of the newer ipods, but I don't know if it includes a calculator. It would be neat if it did.

I've heard of people programming cheap graphing calculators for DOF, hyperfocal distance, runtime... etc.

• 2 weeks later...

buy a palm , and download the pcam and the pcine softs from www.davideubank.com , its the best, esasier, fast, top! and accurate way. You have all the possibilites here. Tables that you can photocopy from manuals, they never have all the lenses, tne distances that you need. The pcam, calculates whatever you need. Try it !!