Buying a 35mm camera!

dr_gonzo

So my producing partner and I are looking into buying a 35mm camera....

The plan is to use it to shoot films while we freelance as DP's to help pay it off, and then use it for a feature that is in pre-production stages at this point to be shot in a year or two down the road.

Is it possible to find a decent 35mm rig for 25 grand or less??? Obviously it would have to be a used camera....Also would it be money better spent to just grab a S16 camera?

• Premium Member

Well the cheapest 35mm camera you can get besides an eyemo is a Konvas. For about 2g's you can get a Konvas 2m with 17ep motor, lenses, mattebox and a couple of mags. Although it's rare, I have seen Arri 35BL's go for under 10k. Maybe look into an Arri 2c package? All this said, can you afford the stock and processing? Or is this just a camera that you and your partner can use on other people's shoots?

Kev

If you use your real name you will probably get a lot of good advice. If not, you probably won't get any more replies.

This is the anonymous internet why would posting with my name make any difference. But for the record its Guy Incognito.

There are plenty of deals on ebay for used 35mm cameras. Most are MOS but you can sometimes come across an Arri BL. Buyer beware on ebay, though.

There are several good dealers out there that specialize in used film cameras. Visual Products sells good merchandise, but they can be pricey. I bought my first Arri 2c from James Higgens Films. Just Google and you'll find plenty of deals.

Well the cheapest 35mm camera you can get besides an eyemo is a Konvas. For about 2g's you can get a Konvas 2m with 17ep motor, lenses, mattebox and a couple of mags. Although it's rare, I have seen Arri 35BL's go for under 10k. Maybe look into an Arri 2c package? All this said, can you afford the stock and processing? Or is this just a camera that you and your partner can use on other people's shoots?

Kev

Thanks Kev, Ill look into the Arri 2c....

We've got the money for the feature pretty much in place...but this camera will primarily be used to earn extra cash on other peoples shoots to put towards the film budget and paying rent while we are in production.

Thanks Kev, Ill look into the Arri 2c....

We've got the money for the feature pretty much in place...but this camera will primarily be used to earn extra cash on other peoples shoots to put towards the film budget and paying rent while we are in production.

use your real name.

If you want to get work, For that money I'd go S16.