Safety Taping Magazines, etc.

Hal Smith

• Premium Member

I just bought a roll of Permacel 1" black "Professional Grade Gaffer's Tape" from B&H. It seems a bit thick for taping up the edges of magazine covers, etc. I've been tearing strips from my rolls of 2" Pro Gaff and it's quite a bit more conformable. What do use?

Don't use gaffer tape; it'll take the paint off.

1" white camera tape which is not gaff tape.

I don't like to tape around the edges, I prefer to test the mags. I tape latches, cause that says "don't open" - I even do this when shooting solo - good habit.

Actaully when I worked as an AC in the past I _would_ tape the edges - even on Mitchell mags ! - because it makes everyone feel secure.... :D

-Sam

I agree that taping the edges on modern and well maintained equipment should be entirely unnecessary. On the other hand, if you are planning on using older mags from, say, an Eclair NPR or Mitchell or what have you, then it probably isn't a horrible idea.

I agree that taping the edges on modern and well maintained equipment should be entirely unnecessary. On the other hand, if you are planning on using older mags from, say, an Eclair NPR or Mitchell or what have you, then it probably isn't a horrible idea.

It's a good idea to tape the gap between camera body and mag on Arri SRs when shooting in severe conditions.

I once had a job in Morocco where we were exposed to extremely harsh sunlight (T22 upwards!!!) and the stock had edge fogging that entered the machine through that gap. Taping it up solved the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am a latch taper! It has always seemed to me one more safety level to prevent the nightare of wrongly opened magazines. I have slapped many a bored fiddeling finger away from untaped latches.

I think taping the edges of modern, well maintained and carefully tested mags is purely psychological. The first time the Arri 235 turned up on set my focus puller of 15 years experience gave me very nervous scathing looks when I gave him an untaped mag. But now he doesn't even bat an eye lid.

But if taping serves no practical purpose and is purely psychological, but makes people feel better it can't be all that bad!

• Premium Member

Yeah, Latch taper too. Ive noted that some people still use the tape from the side of the film can and wrap up the mag til it resembles a mummy. If tested, theres no reason why you need to cover a mag. It also helps to identify your (immaculatley written) film stock info.