Eye light vs Catchlight

Joseph Francis

In this post I use the term "eye light" to refer to a soft, diffuse slash of illumination that spills across the face from temple to temple and is meant to subtly enhance the general region of the face around the eyes.

I use the term "catchlight" to mean a specular glint on the surface of the eyeball intended to make the eyes more lively.

With that distinction in mind, do you have any equipment and light placement suggestions and techniques to recommend in order to achieve a subtle, beautiful eye light on an actress in a period piece?

• Premium Member
I use the term "eye light" to refer to a soft, diffuse slash of illumination that spills across the face from temple to temple and is meant to subtly enhance the general region of the face around the eyes.

You're kidding, right? :blink:

You answered your own question right there...

Edited by Christopher D. Keth

I first noticed this effect on the original Star Trek series when Captain Kirk was photographed in close-up during some dramatic part of the episode. Dedo makes a lens attachment to go on their dedo lights and it can be focused for a sharp or diffuse edge. You could also try an ellipsoidal fixture and cut the light down to eye-mask size; the fixture can also be defocused. Shooting a fresnel on flood/wide through a cut-out in a piece of black foam core could work, too.

" Charlie Bars " to bits of wood painted black mounted on C stand set gap to any distance between bars depending on lamp you are using and distance from subject , you get that nice slash of light across eyes it is nice to use on cu,s of women , but was used a lot on William Shatner in Star Trek !! . John Holland ,London.

Actually, I call that unmotivated slash of light across the eyes a "Kirk Light" in homage to the series. :D

That bit can be created using a fresnel with everything from the barndoors, for a very soft effect, to flags at various distances, to control the sharpness of the edges, to a piece of foamcore with a custom cutout (essentially a cuculoris.)

Have fun out there.