Smoked edge images for flash back sequence!

Rajavel Olhiveeran

hi all

am planning to give an old look to one sequence in my next film....one of the ideas

i thought was to give smoked edges to the image framed....(how we normally get those

dodged images on still photograph prints.......)...basically darkening the corners and the edges of the films......

are there any filters to get this effect...or is there any other way to get this effect.....can

can i just add a glass with their edges smoked or.....use the grey or black dulling spray!

i intend to shoot on 16mm .....and bring scratches deliberately on the negative and then blow it up to

35 mm....and join it to the rest of the film which will be in 35mm itself....

any better idea to give a old look.......Flash back sequence.....welcome!!!

thanks. cheers!

i would think that you are talking about vignetting. from my limited experience with vignettes, it occurs when you use lenses for a smaller format on a larger format camera. some one correct me if my examples are too general, or indescriptive. Situations such as using 16mm lenses on Super16 camera/gate, that causes vignetteing. although vignetting will occur on zoom lenses on a long enough lense the vignettes can be hidden.

as far as filters, i personally would like to know myself. im not sure if it is easily achievable on a 16mm camera tho...

Apparently you can get the effect in processing, but heres a good website on it:

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/vignetting.html