Loading super 16mm Aaton magazines

Zachary Vex

I have a set of printed instructions from the Aaton site (available as a PDF from here: http://www.aaton.com/products/film/xtr/ltr.php ). Unfortunately, the first guide roller before the first pinch roller on the takeup side of the magazine appears in a different place than that of the magazine in the instructions. Even more confusing, the drawing inside lid of the magazine shows a completely different arrangement with two idler rollers before the first pinch roller, with the film going under the fist and over the second, and the second one looks like it's in the same position as the single roller in mine! so the instructions in the manual are in direct conflict with the instructions inside the lid... how annoying!

My question is this: which side of the roller does the film go? above or below? the instructions say below, but as i said, the roller is in a different place now, so either seems possible. i realize that keeping the emulsion safe is the most important factor, so over the top seems best since the emulsion would not touch the roller that way, but I can't be sure. Anyone know? I need to load the magazine for a documentary shoot this evening, in about an hour.

You can get the Cameraman's Handbook for like $30

It'll teach you with detailed illustrations how to load an Aaton.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cameram...TF8&s=books

That's how I learned how to load an Aaton...

I also have help from an AC who was in need of a loader. :)

But the book taught me all the points quickly and was good reference.

The cameraman's handbook is very useful it'll teach lots of things about your Aaton

And other cameras, and just general camera stuff good to know when shooting.

You should also get the ASC manual another helpful tome.

There are tons of camera books out there

Check the list of recommended reading in this site it'll help you.

Good Luck

• Premium Member

Hello Zachary,

I'm the guy who serviced your camera and I'm also the guy you talked to about your loading quandry.

Ignore the second roller in the diagram. I have never seen a magazine with the second roller as it was phased out and removed from existing magazines many, many years ago.

Attached is the diagram on the inside of your older-generation magazines which is misleading. Ignore the second 'phantom' roller.

Also attached is a picture of a properly loaded take-up from a magazine similar to yours.

- Nathan

post-500-1160143355.jpg

post-500-1160143656.jpg

hi Nathan, and thank you for posting that picture. i have seen that very same setup in the Aaton manual, but unfortunately, that's not where my roller is! mine is further to the right, not next to the coaxial (if that's what it's called). my roller is about halfway between the pinch roller (if that's what it's called.)

my mags are s/n M1206 and M1229.

I have another question... about halfway through a 400 ft load, one of my magazines started making a very annoying squeaking noise which was alleviated by turning off the footage counter (whereupon it fell silent). I'm worried that it would sound like a bad bearing on the counter's roller only 1 week after level 4 maintenance.

Shortly after that problem was solved, the magazine began moaning. Is it possible that the pancake loaded up unevenly somehow? it was perfectly smooth when i started it, and was feeding on in even layers.

I used this magazine successfully last week with no noise whatsoever, but it developed this problem with my second roll yesterday.

update on this:

I had exposed 300 feet and removed that portion today for processing, and I discovered that one of the two latches that hold the core in place was in the retracted position. I was certain that I had released both by pushing the center button and felt them go into place, but during the final loading step while turning the core to tension the extra film this time I realized that it's very easy to push in one of the latches if you turn the core using the spindle.

At any rate, the pancake wasn't completely flat as a result, which explains the moaning sound as it rubbed against the inside of the magazine.

From now on I'll make sure to double-check the latches on the core before closing the lid. This unfortunately doesn't explain the squeaking film counter. I have to finish shooting the last 100 feet before I can examine that side of the magazine.

Edited by Zachary Vex