Panavision Panaflex 16

Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Most of them live at Panavision Hollywood. I know Woodland Hills has at least 4.

Just call and tell them you want to rent one. If it is available, they will have it shipped over. This is done all the time.

Kevin Zanit

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The Panaflex Elaine is really a studio camera, not suited for a run & gun indie production compared to an Aaton or Arri-SR. Especially if you are working with kids and need fast reloads.

With SO many more Aaton's and Arri-SR's out there, I have a hard time believing you can't find a good deal on renting them (not that you can't find a deal on the Elaine unless they are all out on a TV series or something.) Even Panavision realizes that the Aaton is a better camera, which is why they have bought more of them rather than build more Elaines.

I think of the Elaine as having all of the problems of a 35mm Panaflex but without the advantage of being a 35mm camera!

I'm sure that Mitch knows all the cheaper 16mm camera rental houses in NYC. Handheld maybe?

Well, Im just a fan of Panavision. Arri and AATON are so small. I love larger cameras. On top of that, 100% of the work will be on Dollies or Cranes. So there is no real "Portability" Problems.

Panavision cameras have better lenses, they have better Mags and the like. Now on 35mm cameras, Arri and Panavision are both good, but on 16mm, it seems to me Panavision has Arri and this AATON beat.

Of course, not everyone will agree with me. it is just a personal thing. Anything Panavision is great to me. Arri is good too. Panavision is just my 1st choice for anything.

Of course, if you can get me an Arri or ATTON w/ color video assist for under $250.00/day.... then I'm willing to talk about them.

• Upvote 1

You should know that in 16mm, the lenses for the Panavision Elaine are simply rehoused Zeiss and Cooke glass, so there's rally no optical advantage as these same lenses are available for Aaton or Arri or whatever.

If you really want a built up camera, get an SR3 or a Prod with 800' mag, extension viewfinder, big mattebox, etc. I doubt you'll really feel the difference between this and the Elaine. And the viewing systems will be SO much better! The Elaine was designed about 15 years ago so they're really miniture Gold-2 cameras.

There are lots of places to get great deals on Super-16 cameras in NYC. I have a nice package sitting in my closet if you want to email me! ;) Certainly you'll get a better deal locally than if you arrange to have an Elaine shipped in from LA. And most of them are busy on series anyway.

I'm not sure I completely follow your logic on using a bulkier camera anyway. "Waiter! Look how old this wine is! Bring me some FRESH wine!"

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The Panaflex Elaine doesn't really have any advantages being bigger -- I mean, it's still using 16mm film but threading the elaborate Mitchell-type movement is now twice as hard because the film is half the size. You need little fingers...

Also, it has a limited number of older 16mm Zeiss and Cooke lenses set aside for it, not the line-up of modern 35mm optics available for the 35mm Panaflexes.

And it's not like an Arri-SR3 camera is all that lightweight if you're looking for some heft... put some PL-mount 35mm zoom lenses on it if you really want to take up some space!

Don't fall into the trap of picking a camera because you like the way it looks. If you like Panavision as a company, then call them up and try and get a deal on their Aatons.

• Upvote 1

I think Panavision Dallas keeps some in stock. But they're in Dallas. Closer to me than to ... well .. you. LOL

Cant be any worse than having one shipped from LA. Does Panavision even ship to the middle of the sticks? If not, Im out of luck :-))

I'm not sure I completely follow your logic on using a bulkier camera anyway. "Waiter! Look how old this wine is! Bring me some FRESH wine!"

In the end I dont really care. Im the Director. My DP probably even has a 16mm package, most do now days. I was just wondering about the Panaflex 16.

Certainly you'll get a better deal locally than if you arrange to have an Elaine shipped in from LA. And most of them are busy on series anyway.

In the sticks, where im at. there Aint to many of them there Motion Picture rental shops sonny. :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Don't fall into the trap of picking a camera because you like the way it looks. If you like Panavision as a company, then call them up and try and get a deal on their Aatons.

Im just going by what I hear. Usually people refer to use Panavision. However, with MAJOR films turning from Panavision to Arri (HP 3), I dont think It really matters.

I have a nice package sitting in my closet if you want to email me!

What kind of Camera is it?

• Premium Member

Any rental house will ship a package to location although you should hire some camera assistants to prep the package at the rental house before it gets shipped out. Obviously it's probably cheaper to pick a rental house closer to your area, at least in terms of shipping costs. Plus if something goes wrong, you want to be able to get replacements as fast as possible.

Why isn't your DP the one handling these issues for you?

Panavision is a good company to rent from -- I'm just suggest you consider their Aatons rather than the Elaine, especially if your camera crew is not experienced with Panaflexes. In terms of whether an Aaton XTR-Prod is better than an Arri-SR3, it's sort of 50/50 to me but then, I don't shoot a lot of Super-16 these days. They are both top of the line Super-16 cameras.

Panavision no longer competes with itself (Woodland Hills, Hollywood, Dallas, New York) so it doesn't really matter which you contact, price-wise. The equipment will come from where ever is closer or most convenient for putting together the package. You'd probably be getting an Aaton from their Hollywood facility, for example.

I have not brought on a DP to this Production or that would be what would happen. Personally, I dont care what Camera it is. Im more concerned with the look of the film and the Actors. I was just curiouse as to the different Cameras.

I may even still go HD... it depends. I just got offered a new script that I think would look good in a "Documentary" style look. While keeping it a feature. Cant say what the script is though, You would all be paying me Millions for it :lol: :lol: :lol: :(

Thanks again.