Contacting Jack Cardiff

Brian Rose

I would very much like to contact Jack Cardiff, because he is my favorite cinematographer, and because I think correspondance with such a giant of film would be incredibly valuable. Based on his filmography, he is still pretty active, so it seems possible. Anyone have any clue how to reach him, whether by email or by phone?

Best,

Brian Rose

• Premium Member

Suggest that you contact the ASC with sincere request. Also do not forget the next ASC open

house coming up in the future. You might find out if Mr. Cardiff will be there. I have wanted to

meet David Mullen ASC for a long time and I'm hoping to find him at next ASC open house.

One needs to be sincere when dealing with these matters. I am a stills photographer and stu-

dent cinematographer. I have photographed several stars(with their permission) and of course

I was sincere. I wish you success. When one sincerely acts professional they are usually per-

ceived professional. I would never photograph a star and then sell the photographs.

Greg Gross

Guest Tim Partridge

You can write to Mr. Cardiff care of the BSC.

I produced an interview with Mr. Cardiff for a documentary last year. Contrary to Max's comments, Mr. Cardiff was still frequenting Poland, Edinburgh and LA for various film/cinematography based festivals, lectures and such. Very busy shedule. However, well into his 90s, it's only understandable that Mr. Cardiff spends a lot of valued time resting in between (and during) these excursions with his family. Please understand and respect this if you choose to write to him.

I would also advise you to contact both the ASC and BSC and find out if Jack will be attending any lectures or festivals in your area anytime soon.

• Premium Member

I'm afraid I forgot to consider Mr. Cardiff's present age. Of course I have learned in life that

when all looks impossible,thats the time to work harder and not quit. If you are truely sincere

then you should try to contact Mr. Cardiff. I hope you will do so with great respect and con-

sideration for Mr. Cardiff. I once thought that I could not photograph John Travolta(set of Lucky

Numbers). Everyone said no but I had the courage to approach him,acting professionally and he

said yes and even created his own poses for me. Those photos are only in my private archives

and one is hanging in my studio.

Greg Gross

Most definitely. You raise a great point with regard to his age. That is one reason why I am eager to contact him. Last I had seen, he appeared in good health considering his years, and I look at it as a great opportunity to speak with one of the last giants of hollywood. I think of all the greats that I will never meet, and I think that if I do not try with him, it would be an opportunity wasted. I'm just eager to write him as a fan of his work. And who knows? Maybe, just maybe, I might be fortunate enough to strike up a correspondance!

Brian Rose

Thanks for the info! Actually, I'd rather not call, at least not right away. I guess I didn't make that clear outright. No, you all are right, one must be careful when contacting such individuals. I was more interested in sending a letter, or perhaps email.

Best,

Brian Rose

• Premium Member

Brian,

Why don't you try to contact Mr. Cardiff through his agent as gentleman has provided you

with the agent's phone number. Be professional and sincere, if that does not work you may

want to try to be more agressive(with respect and consideration). In this regard I mean try

to contact Mr. Cardiff himself. These are tried and true methods I use as a professional stills

photographer. I absolutely will not photograph a star without permission for example. Some-

thing wonderful and creative always happens when the star wants to be photographed. I once

meant Michael Chapman ASC in a crowded room by chance. Well let me tell you I idolize his

work! I did not know what to say and I was taken back! I said...."its you" and he said..."yes its

me"and I said..."I love your work." I asked him what it was like hanging from cables and taking

meter readings and he commented a little. I could tell that he really wanted his privacy. He did

thank me for being a fan of his art,cinematography. Brian, I had a Nikon F4S hanging around my

neck and another Nikon hanging on my shoulder. I never tried to photograph him and I could sen-

se that he did not want to be photographed. So I had great respect for him,I was considerate.

Sometimes the best images never reach the film,the focal plane. They stay in your mind and you

can visualize them for ever,call up the visual archive. I'm 58 years old now and I'm a student cine-

matographer,can you imagine that? Be professional and act sincere, monetary values can never re-

place the art,craft. Best of luck to you in all of your endeavors sir.

Greg Gross

• 2 weeks later...

I was very tense when I approached Jacks house. I knocked and his wife Niki opened the door. She was so friendly and introduced me to the legend. Jack lead me to the waiting room and asked me what I wanted to drink. I said coffee, one sugar and little milk. I was sure he was going to ask his wife Niki to make it, but he made it himself and brought it to me.The next two weeks we spent doing a short film at the Brighton Film School. I helped Jack rigg the lights, control them, soften them etc. I was so amazed at the vitality he had during the shoot. At one point he was down on his knees suggesting the best camera position. So, the next time I was round his house I asked him not a very thoughtful question, "Sir, at this age and you're still making films," and he said "If I don't make films it means I am dead". That really touched my heart.

It took me a little while to understand why would a filmmaking legend serve me a coffee. Later I learned he was three times PHD, the third PHD given to him in person by the queen. Jack reached the very peak in cinematography, but as humans we were equals. He treated me as any of his friends. His modesty is unsurpassed.

I will always see him as my grandfather.

I just thought I share this happy experience with you guys.

Yes, consider his age, but don't be ambarresed to approach him. I would also advise you to contact his agent. Jacks schedule is really tight, but it can be done. You can imagine how many people know him and want to spend few minutes with him.

• 2 weeks later...

You can log into imdbpro.com for a free two week trial. (Just make sure you cancel your free trial before the expiration date)

Find Jack Cardiff's information, sometimes you get lucky and get his personal contact info even, but for the big guys you at least get their agent's contact info.

Send a very heartfelt and professional fax or email expaining what you're looking for, and most of the time the agent will pass along the info. (Or at least they claim to)

I've tried this a couple times when I was an AC trying to get some bigger movies, I got hold of Wally Pfister even to try to get on the Prestige. (They were crewed up, damn it.)

Give that a shot.