Pulling in Processing.

Ive never really worked with pulling in processing before, and very little with pushing. I couldnt help having noticed "The Killers" new music video. Looks to be shot on film and has a very milky blacks and overall underexposed look, i can only assume it was pulled in processing, i think this because it seems to have its highlights and accented tones (sorry if thats not entirely comprehendable) but no grain. mainly from the looks of it, it looks to be pulled. Is this correct or what?

Music video teaser:

http://www4.islanddefjam.com/media/killers...ler/mpegmed.mov

The MV looks similar to this photo:

929986653_l.jpg

Thanks.

looking it over it may be only some of the shots. mainly the performance shots.

Edited by Darrin P Nim

• Premium Member
no one?

It doesn't look pulled -- it looks aged, like the stock had lost its blacks and they had gone blue.

I'd almost go with pull-processing PLUS skip-bleach processing a slower stock and also flashing it with blue light to get that look, although it's not hard to create that effect in post.

• 2 weeks later...
It doesn't look pulled -- it looks aged, like the stock had lost its blacks and they had gone blue.

I'd almost go with pull-processing PLUS skip-bleach processing a slower stock and also flashing it with blue light to get that look, although it's not hard to create that effect in post.

yeah, hmm what if the blacks werent so blue? would the over all look be something like pulling? i understand that it could be post processing and a good part of me says that it was. i could see flashing be used but im always iffey about flashing my film, hence my inexperience with the method. would you really suggest skip bleach along with pulling to achieve this look? i was considering shooting experimental footage on Fuji Eterna and overexposing by a stop then pulling 2 or 1.5 depending.

i guess my question is what does pulling usually look like?

• Premium Member

No, it wasn't pull process. The video was shot on Super 16 using reversal film. The Director was Anthony Mandler [also a renowned photographer] and the DP was Max Goldman. Telecine and post were handled by The Mill in NYC.

The visual reference for the video was Alejandro Gonzalez Innarritu's gritty film "Amores Perros" [photographed by Rodrigo Prieto, ASC, AMC. shot on all negative stocks] It also reminds me of "Powder Keg" the BMW: The Hire short film that Robert Richardson, ASC lensed for Innarritu that was shot on S16 using Ektachrome 160 asa reversal.

Great video btw, one of my favorites of this year.