Yellow Lenses....?

Adrian Correia

I recently bought (about two weeks ago) a set of Canon K35 lenses from a retired DP in Florida. I got a 14mm (I believe this is EOS glass) in a PL mount and a complete set of K35s (18, 24, 35, 55, 85) in BNCR mount. I sent them to a friend in Los Angeles to be inspected and remounted to PL mounts. The lenses are in excellent shape, but the 35mm and 55mm have a "yellow tint" (the techs term not mine) to the image.

My question to the members of this forum is....what is that yellow tint? What could it be? Is it correctable? I was told that it is a slight shift in warmth to the yellow side. Could I match these with the rest of the lenses in the set with some simple color correction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The man I bought these from also has another set of K35s - should I try and exchange the 35mm and 55mm for the corresponding lenses in that set? Thanks!

• Premium Member
I recently bought (about two weeks ago) a set of Canon K35 lenses from a retired DP in Florida. I got a 14mm (I believe this is EOS glass) in a PL mount and a complete set of K35s (18, 24, 35, 55, 85) in BNCR mount. I sent them to a friend in Los Angeles to be inspected and remounted to PL mounts. The lenses are in excellent shape, but the 35mm and 55mm have a "yellow tint" (the techs term not mine) to the image.

My question to the members of this forum is....what is that yellow tint? What could it be? Is it correctable? I was told that it is a slight shift in warmth to the yellow side. Could I match these with the rest of the lenses in the set with some simple color correction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The man I bought these from also has another set of K35s - should I try and exchange the 35mm and 55mm for the corresponding lenses in that set? Thanks!

Hi,

Possibly radioactive coatings/elements. Cooke series II 75mm are usually very yellow as well as many older Nikon still lenses I own.!

It's quite likely that the 35 & 55 of the other set will be the same.

Color correction will fix the problem. The latest lens sets match in color perfectly but that was not the case 30 years ago!

Out of interest how much did the lenses cost and how easy was it to convert them!

Stephen

• Premium Member
I paid 8,500 for all the lenses and it looks like it will cost anywhere from 400 to 1,200 to convert each lens. I think two of the lenses will be on the higher end, but the rest of them look to be pretty straight forward...

Hi,

I think you got a good deal! Could be worth a fortune when Red stard delivering cameras!

Stephen

That was the initial idea. I have a red reserved, but am not holding my breath....when they start producing the camera and more comprehensive test footage then I will start to let myself believe. Until then I am happy this will be my first set of lenses and I can use them for 35mm work. I am going to try and rent a Kinor for some 35mm tests with this set....do you happen, or anyone for that matter, know if anywhere in NYC rents out a Kinor package?

There is one on sale at ebay right now for 5,500. It has 12 lenses, 3 of them are fast. Single side follow focus,....what am I doing? Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kinor-35H-35mm-movie-c...1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks kinda junky but who knows. You could turn around and sell the lenses if you just want the body, but the market seems to be flooded with unwanted oct-19 mounts....Or just resell the whole damn thing when you're finished with it.

Anyway, just trying to help.