How much camera noise does the Beaulieu 4008 create?

Tomas Stacewicz

It's very hard to find specs about the db that the Beaulieu 4008 ZM II creates without a blimp or barney. So are there anyone out there that knows how many decibels that are gererated by this camera in a indoor environment?

And what about blimping. Does it suffice to have a blimp around the body of the camera, without any cover over the lens? Or is it as with the Arri BL, that you have to use a blimp around the lens also?

How loud is a 4008ZM2? Louder than a cricket, not as loud as a cement mixer... If you record sound with a camera running nearby, you'll hear it.

As far as I know no Super 8 cameras were made that were internally blimped or sound dampened. You can quiet a camera down by throwing a leather jacket over it, or you can build a custom blimp for one, but you'll lose the portablility which is the S8 camera's strong suit. Also remember that 30 year old cameras are noisier now than when new; if you're concerned about your unit and wish to make it quieter, send it in for an overhaul.

• Premium Member

One thing to keep in mind when working with the 4008. (and super 8 in general) is that you will get the best looking results by shooting at mid apertures and mid focal lengths so it is often a good idea to have the camera a good distance away from what you are shooting. This also makes camera noise less of an issue.

My 4008 is not set up for sound sync, but I know someone who has one that is and it holds sync....

Steve

Edited by steve hyde