Mirror Images

Ashim

Yup... I had my misgivings about askin such a brain fart... but still...I am sorry ...I persist

isnt there just any technique or trick that can accomplish the Master's impossible wish.

Hey why dont we see the reflection of the camera in the cars windshield...its usually never at an

angle...Is it because of the polarizer filter?

the polarizer filter only takes reflections of non metal objects so it wouldnt work on a mirror. I guess if you had a big budget you could paint out the camera or if you want to go the cheap way you would have to find a way to hide the camera. Usually its better to just shoot on a bit of an angle.

• Premium Member
Just wanna know if its possible to shoot someone standing in front of the mirror head on?

If you don't want to see the actor themselves, only their reflection, block the actor in front of an empty mirror frame and shoot from behind the frame. The frame could be dressing a hole in a wall with the camera on the opposite side of the wall from the actor. Obviously Art Direction would have to dress the camera side of the wall to be visually the front of the wall.

• Premium Member
...and put a double in the forground performing the same movements. sometimes referred to as the la haine trick, but i'm sure they stole it from somebody else.

/matt

"Peggy Sue Got Married" begins and ends with that trick.

You could also put a one-way mirror behind the actor and shoot thru it, as "Being There" did for a scene in a tiny make-up room, but you'd have to justify having another mirror behind the actor. Or cut a hole in the wall for the camera lens.

Shooting flat-on to regular glass also will reflect the camera unless you drap the camera, camera crew, and the wall behind the camera in black.

Place the camera so you see it?s reflection in the center of the mirror. Then move the camera to the side until it disappears. Now bring the actor in from the other side. Have them look between their reflection and the reflection of the camera.

Another way to do this is to center the camera in the mirror and put a set flat in front of the camera with a small hole just where the camera lens is. Dress the wall and disguise the hole. Cover it with a small two way mirror, or ND filter on the lens, or a black coat etc. You could also do this technique using a large two way mirror and angle it slightly so it reflects the set just to the side of the mirror but not the mirror wall. Dress this wall the way you want the mirror image wall to look.

I?ve shot directly into the mirror and hid the camera reflection with a black wall. Then you put objects in front of the black drape that are reflected so the wall doesn?t look so much like a black hole. In dark scenes this was an easy quick and fun solution.