Fair warning

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm currently involved with setting up a very small-scale production of a 40-minute TV pilot. Real pocket-money stuff, not what most here would consider a real production.

In light of this, and as a cost-saving measure, I'm currently intending to shoot it on either HD or very possibly straight DVCAM.

The reason I mention this now is to preempt the inevitable "...but you should have shot film." I estimate the costs solely associated with film origination on a project like this would be around UK£50,000, so if anyone wants to give me fifty thousand quid (that's about ninety thousand US) I'd be very happy to shoot it on film.

Since it's fairly obvious nobody is going to do that, in six months, when we have a finished project, any film apologists will be directed here. You had your chance!

Phil

Ok well since you're inviting us film people to chime in before you shoot here I am.

I just wrapped a 35mm feature on Friday, my raw film stock costs where $11,000.00 CDN dollars, that's very little in UK pounds.

I used Fuji stock and bought it all new in the can from productions that had film left over, this is a very common practice, my stocks where 8553 and 8557.

The lab reduced their processing fees by .10 a foot, and the transfer house has cut me a killer deal to transfer to HDSR. Basically I've reduced the costs by over $100,000.00 when every thing is added up. So it can be done, and many other indie filmmakers have done the same thing.

Tell you what, you want to shoot on film I'll buy the raw stock for you and ship it over the Atlantic. Your UK pounds will go much farther in Canada than the USA or Britain, the exchange rate you'll get will cut your costs down to a pittance.

Shoot your movie. Then come over to Toronto and stay at my place free of charge and transfer your film here in Toronto, again using your UK pounds, and and I'll help you cut deals with the transfer house so that you'll be able to shoot on 35mm for less than what you're doing it for on DVCAM.

I'll ship my BL2 over to you and you can use it free of charge as well, with a new 24mm Arri Zeiss prime, plus batteries. So you'll have zero equipment rental costs.

It can be done Phil. Just let me know and we can make it happen. Film can be shot for very little money, and you'll have a better looking finished product that will really impress people when you tell them it was shot on 35mm.

R,

Better take that offer up Phil . Sounds like a fairy tale ,go for it . John Holland , London.

Hardly a fairy tale :D

Do the calculations on the exchange rate from UK pounds to CDN dollars. The film is available, I can start buying it right now.

I have the BL2, and Phil can use it for free as I suggested.

I'll cut killer deals on the post here in TO, like I always do.

When I put my producers cap on there are few obstacles I can't over come. People shooting on video use the "film is too expensive" line all the time. True, if you're "low budget" it could be an issue. But we have this forum and a way to make contacts with people that can help others over come barriers. So let's use it.

R,

Hi Richard dont get me wrong didnt mean fairy tale as in unbeliveable ,but great offer for Phil . John Holland ,London.

Yep, no problem.

R,