overexpose/pull

Adam Berra

I'm shooting a short on s16, and I plan to shoot on fuji eterna 500T. I am trying to acheive a very smooth look with little detail in the highlights and shadows. My though was to overexpose two stops and pull one. I was curious as to whether anyone had tried something similar with this stock and could provide any insight.

• Premium Member
I'm shooting a short on s16, and I plan to shoot on fuji eterna 500T. I am trying to acheive a very smooth look with little detail in the highlights and shadows. My though was to overexpose two stops and pull one. I was curious as to whether anyone had tried something similar with this stock and could provide any insight.

How is that going to achieve your goal of little shadow detail?

I just finished a short on super16 on eterna 500T, I overexposed a stop (rated at 250) and pulled a stop.

The Director wanted a very low contrast slightly desaturated pastely look, thats why I did the pull.

I really liked the effect, it gave the highlights a bit of a nice softness to them which I liked as well.

The blacks were pretty milky though so we ended up bringing them down a little bit in certain shots/scenes in telecine (still had a very low con look, but just a bit less milky).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

err...yeah, the only problem is right now I only have a DVD copy of our Telecine footage, I dont know how to export still frames from a DVD...I know if I could get the DVD footage into a final cut timeline I could do it, but I cant seem to import this DVD into final Cut (I only just started using final cut recently)...If someone could tell me how, I will post many frames on here and be eternaly greateful, as I have wanted to do this for a while but could never figure out how (I know it's possible because I have imported footage from a DVD before but the ones from the telecine house don't seem to work with final cut).

Cheers.

Edited by Tomas Koolhaas

There is a great program dvdxdv http://www.dvdxdv.com/ which is not very expensive that can convert dvd files to quicktime. There is also mac the ripper for other reasons. But if it is something you shot I think dvdxdv should do what you want.

-Rob Feathersone

Cheers guys,

I just got it (DVDxDV), I will give it a shot...If it works..stills will follow, if not...back to the drawing board.

Cheers guys,

I just got it (DVDxDV), I will give it a shot...If it works..stills will follow, if not...back to the drawing board.

Will snagging a screen capture directly from the DVD work? I know the regular screen capture function is disabled in DVD playback on Macs, but if you download the Capture widget at -

Capture Widget - Apple.com

-you should be able to open dashboard, click on it and capture a paused DVD image (circumventing the disabled screen capture issue). Anyways, might be easier/quicker.

I believe I may have learned this trick from a David Mullen post--One of the many posts full of helpful information he's provided on this site.

Will snagging a screen capture directly from the DVD work? I know the regular screen capture function is disabled in DVD playback on Macs, but if you download the Capture widget at -

Capture Widget - Apple.com

-you should be able to open dashboard, click on it and capture a paused DVD image (circumventing the disabled screen capture issue). Anyways, might be easier/quicker.

I believe I may have learned this trick from a David Mullen post--One of the many posts full of helpful information he's provided on this site.

Haha I just read that post too late, I already spent an hour converting the DVD to a quicktime,

I have exported some stills but now cant seem to make attachments to my posts....it says O Bytes left before I even make any attachments????

Is it because I am a basic member????

Cheers.

Edited by Tomas Koolhaas