Free Intern Available :)

Hey,

You may or may not know me from the n00bie forum, but my name is Sam and I would like to be a director (sometimes of photography) one day. But, for now I humbly throw myself at your feet as a GRUNT! :) I read a very nice post on how to get into the business and basically I need to get my hands dirtY! Right now my hands our mildly dirty with two fingernails showing minor signs of grit. I am looking for a mudbath, or female mudwrestling refferee type position.

Please, help me, the way to help me is by having me help you.

I am available for intern starting November 3rd, when I arrive back home in Los Angeles.

oh and If you would like to see my work here ya go... no lighting experience :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-sbXxEoZ6A

-Sam

323 309 6125

Well if you want a bit of inside advice....you may think that offering your services to a production is a no-brainer for the production to have you aboard, after all you're free right?

Problem is this, you'll still eat food, and most on set catering is done per number of people. So you cost money there.

Then there's parking, the producer may have to pay for another parking pass for you. More money. Plus possible insurance coverage for you so you don't sue the producer if you trip on a cable and bash your head, more money.

Then the producer has to assume the risk of having some one with zero experience on set. Believe it or not just moving a light or piece of equipment from A-B requires training. How hard can it be to move a light you say? Well it can be difficult if you don't know exactly how to handle one. If you break any thing that's going to be an insurance claim or money out of pocket.

I'm not trying to be a jerk :D Just letting you know from the other side why you may not get onto set as a free grunt worker. You may think you don't cost any thing, but actually you do.

Knowing these things ahead of time will help you over come producer or director objections to having you on set. I'm sure other forum members can point out some pitfalls of "free" labour.

R,

Craigslist has tons of student and indie short filmmakers looking for people like you. There are also production offices looking for people who will work for free (theyll usually pay for your meal and transportation) running errands, and occasional on set work or logging in editing.

This is where to begin. Not on the set of an actual hollyood set run strictly by the unions.

Swimming through the indie/student muck via craigslist is the way to go.

There are plenty of independent and student productions out there who will be MORE that happy to teach you how to move a light if your willing to be reliable and work for free and some of those guys might go on to bigger and better things. If you want to work on a "professional" movie set (IE One where the director isn't moving ladders and hauling light stands between setups) try and GET paid as a PA. If you can meet a few people in the industry, it shouldn't be that hard to to. So you fetch coffee for a while until someone notices your a hard worker who doesn't complain and gives you a chance to work as a grip. It's been known to happen. B)