good 16mm projector..?

seth christian

looking to do a few 16mm projects via self-projection.

any suggestions on maybe what make and model of

projector to get. One that would project the cleanest

imagery possible, nothing of an old look.

Bell & Howell? Model?

What about this Telex?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TELEX-INSTALOAD-XL-220...bayphotohosting

I have a Telex 2230N which is the five blade (FILM CHAIN) version of the projector you are looking at. It is easy on films like a Graflex but the presure plate is not adjustable like on a graflex. The others to consider are the variety of Bell and Howell projectors that are available. I have many of them but my favorite is the B & H 1552, because it has and easy load, realiable movement and a great body design. I realize this last feature is not important to projection but, well I like it anyway.

The graflex is a realy good projector. Infact it is the projector that the palmer company chose to conver to a dual system interlock projector for serious post production work. If your interested I have a page sort of on the topic:

http://owyheesound.com/owyheesound_product..._projector.html

• Premium Member

I have a Bell & Howell 16mm Filmosound 3580. I believe it was High School surplus, bought off eBay for $60. Ran my first reel through it last week, a 100' Ektachrome 100D shot in a Pumpkin Patch on a sunny day. I was AMAZED at the colors when this film is projected. Loading on this machine is easy and when I had it transfered to video this week there were no scratching issues evident.

I believe these projectors were still manufactured in the late 80's and early 90's, and they are solid chunks of metal meant to last in the worst environment known to mankind, a public High School. Having only run one reel through it, I can't say how it will last, but I know I wouldn't want to drop it on my foot.

• Premium Member

I second the recommendation of the Kodak Pageant. Mine's a AV-126 TR model, very quiet and gentle on film. Simple manual threading, so it's easy to keep clean. You can put up to a 1000w bulb in it, so it's quite bright. Only cost me $40 on ebay!

Are you rephotographing the projected image? The Pageant has a 2-blade and 3-blade shutter configuration (depending on whether you run it at 18fps or 24fps), so you'll get some flicker. A five-blade shutter is better for telecine.

I actually found the exact same graflex 16 projector on my street corner and I use it for Off the wall telecines a lot. I thought it was a random no name projector, but maybe I found a gem on my street corner.

I like it a lot and it does have the pressure plate you can adjust which i always use. 18 and 24FPS.

i really like it and recomend it.

kirk

Guest Ole Dost

The 16mm-Projectors of "Bauer" (Modell P 5 to P 8) are great. They have been very ecpensive while new, but you can get them very cheap on Ebay now. They equipped Schools, Universities and even the Army in Germany since the early 70ies and they are said to be undestruktable. You can get them used and cheap on Ebay and re-manufactured and expensive from a german based company called "Wittner-Kinotechnik" (ask "Google" for the Web-Site; the company is known to have taken over the Beaulieu - Camera-production and -service).

Ole

The 16mm-Projectors of "Bauer" (Modell P 5 to P 8) are great. They have been very ecpensive while new, but you can get them very cheap on Ebay now. They equipped Schools, Universities and even the Army in Germany since the early 70ies and they are said to be undestruktable. You can get them used and cheap on Ebay and re-manufactured and expensive from a german based company called "Wittner-Kinotechnik" (ask "Google" for the Web-Site; the company is known to have taken over the Beaulieu - Camera-production and -service).

Ole

Which is the main difference between bauer P6 and P7 projectors?

i´m interested in one of these.

Guest Ole Dost
Which is the main difference between bauer P6 and P7 projectors?

i´m interested in one of these.

Sorry, I don´t know. For me there are only marginal differences in design... but in fact, I don´t know if there´s any further. I recommend you asking the Company "Wittner-KInotechnik" (just google there). They know everything about the Bauer P -series, because they are remanufacturing and repairing them. They really answer any question, even if you are not going to buy something...

I hope this helps!

Best regards!

Ole

The P6 is of course the model before the P7, both are very good ones, the differences are almost unnoticeable: The main difference is that most (I think all) of the P6s have normal halogen lamps, without dichroic mirror attached, so it uses a halogen lamp like a normal projection lamp. Also the very first P6s may have asbestos them, so you'd better get rid of that too. Apart from that I believe they are pretty much the same, except for maybe some completely unimportant differences. I'd recommend the P7 or P8, since the lamps they have make better use of the light, and they are more modern and less used.