any footage out there from....

seth christian

If you go to my website http://www.homemoviestore.biz click onto services, then on samples. There are a couple of clips of a variety of films transferred using the workprinter. While not by Moviestuff, it is using one their machines. I have a business here in Sacramento, CA that specializes in conversion, restoration, and the archiving of older visual and audio mediums. I do a lot of R8 & S8 film conversions and have refined my system and results to a good quality similar to that of professional houses.

If you go to my website http://www.homemoviestore.biz click onto services, then on samples. There are a couple of clips of a variety of films transferred using the workprinter. While not by Moviestuff, it is using one their machines. I have a business here in Sacramento, CA that specializes in conversion, restoration, and the archiving of older visual and audio mediums. I do a lot of R8 & S8 film conversions and have refined my system and results to a good quality similar to that of professional houses.

We've been using Workprinter-XP machines for four years with great results. We recently added a HD-SDI capture to maximize the possibilities with such a setup. Here are a few 1080P WMV files. More info to come soon on our website - www.filmtransfer.com

8mm - http://www.filmtransfer.com/Media/DTS_HD_1..._Sample_8mm.wmv

s8mm - http://www.filmtransfer.com/Media/DTS_HD_1...Sample_S8mm.wmv

16mm - http://www.filmtransfer.com/Media/DTS_HD_1...Sample_16mm.wmv

- Eugene Gekhter

President

Digital Transfer Systems

eugene@filmtransfer.com

www.filmtransfer.com

We've been using Workprinter-XP machines for four years with great results. We recently added a HD-SDI capture to maximize the possibilities with such a setup. Here are a few 1080P WMV files. More info to come soon on our website - www.filmtransfer.com

Eugene,

Nice stuff. I thought the 16 & 8mm looked good on my computer monitor. The Super 8 look real contrasty though. What are you guys using as a camera for capture?

Eugene,

Nice stuff. I thought the 16 & 8mm looked good on my computer monitor. The Super 8 look real contrasty though. What are you guys using as a camera for capture?

Thanks. We used a Canon XL H1. Just a rough sample really. We just picked the first super 8 clip that came through so it's not the best example of what the camera is capable of. If anybody is interested we can do a roll or two for free using this technology. Contact me by email at eugene@filmtransfer.com. Thanks.

Thanks. We used a Canon XL H1. Just a rough sample really. We just picked the first super 8 clip that came through so it's not the best example of what the camera is capable of.

Are you finding that a lot of your customers are wanting their film transferred to HD? I ask because since most of what you do is geared toward the consumer, I'm curious how they are using their footage. In that there really is no economical and simple system yet for them to view it. I find most of my orders are for DVD and Mini-DV back-up. No one really has a HD DVD player and I'd say 95% of my customers probably never will.

I was looking into this option but found the business didn't justify an investment as such. I work with a variety of retailers as well and no one there has requested HD. A lot of consumers don't even know that a DVD is not a CD, haha. Do you use your Canon for other jobs as well or did you get it for the sole purpose of film transfers? I'm currently switching to an uncompressed SD workflow as I do a heavy amount of color work and this seems to be the smartest investment for my business at this point. Next year we'll be looking into a film scanner for archival work.

Are you finding that a lot of your customers are wanting their film transferred to HD? I ask because since most of what you do is geared toward the consumer, I'm curious how they are using their footage. In that there really is no economical and simple system yet for them to view it. I find most of my orders are for DVD and Mini-DV back-up. No one really has a HD DVD player and I'd say 95% of my customers probably never will.

I was looking into this option but found the business didn't justify an investment as such. I work with a variety of retailers as well and no one there has requested HD. A lot of consumers don't even know that a DVD is not a CD, haha. Do you use your Canon for other jobs as well or did you get it for the sole purpose of film transfers? I'm currently switching to an uncompressed SD workflow as I do a heavy amount of color work and this seems to be the smartest investment for my business at this point. Next year we'll be looking into a film scanner for archival work.

We actually have little idea what the demand will be once we start offering the high-def service this upcoming week. It could be a matter of "if you build it they will come", that's kinda how we got into the business in the first place. We're hoping to inform people that HD does offer greater quality, as is visible when comparing any HD broadcast to their SD counterpart. The way we will deliver is mostly standard-def versions of the high-def transfer and high-def files for future copying to compatible HD viewing devices such as H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/HDV for burning onto Blu-ray/HD-DVD.

- Eugene Gekhter

www.filmtransfer.com

eugene@filmtransfer.com

We actually have little idea what the demand will be once we start offering the high-def service this upcoming week. It could be a matter of "if you build it they will come", that's kinda how we got into the business in the first place. We're hoping to inform people that HD does offer greater quality, as is visible when comparing any HD broadcast to their SD counterpart. The way we will deliver is mostly standard-def versions of the high-def transfer and high-def files for future copying to compatible HD viewing devices such as H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/HDV for burning onto Blu-ray/HD-DVD.

- Eugene Gekhter

www.filmtransfer.com

eugene@filmtransfer.com

What are you guys going to charge for HD xfers? Will you be including a down-converted DVD for viewing copies? What tape/data format will you include for archival/back-up purposes? I'm curious because I found it's hard enough to explain the purpose of say a Mini-DV tape for back-up purposes let alone giving regular consumers a hard drive or D5 tape. My whole thing is that DVDs are a very finicky format as far as preservation goes, i.e. easily scratchable and then where are you at?

Almost all my orders are DVDs for viewing and Mini-DV for backup, along with scene-to-scene primary & secondary color and exposure correction. I prefer laying out to tape as well since the overall quality is superior to MPEG-2 compression.