BEST mic for film?

Barton E Kean

• Premium Member

Hi,

The 416 is essentially a modern ME-80. Personally I prefer the older mic, even though you can't get the batteries for them anymore and have to rely on phantom power (which you always do anyway, so it isn't the slightest problem.)

Either are excellent medium shotguns though.

Phil

I recently had a sound guy evangalise a better alternative to the 416 (which is what I see almost everywhere). I think it was the MK-41 Sam suggested. He was saying the principle benefit is that the mic element itself can be removed and used almost as a clipon, ideal for hiding it in a car, on a table, etc.

As I say, the 416 is more common and can be got for less than 500ukp with cradle etc. Second hand is a good option since they are supposed to last 20 years.

As a broadcast sound guy for 30 years, as well as a equipment dealer, I would suggest that if you are looking for mics in that price range, keep away from the entry level ME66 / 80 mics and graduate to what the pro's use.

While $1000.00 will buy a very good mic (You didn't say, but I assume you are looking for a shotgun mic?), $300.00 more will get you a Sanken CS-3e, which is one of the best.

However, the Sanken CS-1, which is a shorter mic, will exceed any other mic near it's price range (under $800.00).

While no one will ever argue against a Schoeps, it is out of your price range, unless you find a used one. However, they do not make a shotgun mic or capsule, and they require care and feeding otherwise they get finicky in humid weather and high RF environments.