first post, first 16 mm film

hello, i am new here, this is my first post.

let me introduce myself, i am vedran, student of academy of dramatical arts in Zagreb, Croatia (cinematographer)

on the end of this month i have to do one short documentary film on 16 mm

i have 2 options (cameras) bollex H, and arri st. with sets of lenses.

other bigger Q is about films.

i will do it on kodak vision color negative film.

i have few (4) ext. scenes and 3 int. (car repairshop) more or less low light scenes.

i will take 50D kodak for daylight shots, but what to use in interiors? i can choose from 200T and 500T ...

the differens (int - ext) have to be minimum because we do only a safe copy of devepoled film and one positiv copy (editing)

any edvices?

thx.

hello, i am new here, this is my first post.

let me introduce myself, i am vedran, student of academy of dramatical arts in Zagreb, Croatia (cinematographer)

on the end of this month i have to do one short documentary film on 16 mm

i have 2 options (cameras) bollex H, and arri st. with sets of lenses.

other bigger Q is about films.

i will do it on kodak vision color negative film.

i have few (4) ext. scenes and 3 int. (car repairshop) more or less low light scenes.

i will take 50D kodak for daylight shots, but what to use in interiors? i can choose from 200T and 500T ...

the differens (int - ext) have to be minimum because we do only a safe copy of devepoled film and one positiv copy (editing)

any edvices?

thx.

Hi

Try the arri

For the film in documentaries i like to use 500 T because is not easy to use lights in some interiors and gives better exposure. The interiors are interiors they don't have to look like exteriors.

Hi

Try the arri

For the film in documentaries i like to use 500 T because is not easy to use lights in some interiors and gives better exposure. The interiors are interiors they don't have to look like exteriors.

thx for your reply

i am going to go with arri and 120m magazines.

50 D and both 200 and 500 T vision films.

i will need c.pol. filters ... and need to improvise holders for them, or try to get the same size of lens filters.

before i do some tests of film, i need one advice.

i have one shot inside the car, difference is exp is abot 3,5 4 stops. will the film get details n the shadow of the car interior if i set exp to outside light situation? :) thx

Depends where you want the focus

If you are T2 inside and T5.6 outside - it is fairly easy with some diffused 12v kino flo's (or similar) to bring the level up a bit inside the car - and make it easier for you

If you can't and have no TK or DI planned - I would shoot T2.8 to T4 and have the highlights blow... better to get something on the film and print down - then to have nothing

under-expose video - overexpose film

thanks

Rolfe

Depends where you want the focus

If you are T2 inside and T5.6 outside - it is fairly easy with some diffused 12v kino flo's (or similar) to bring the level up a bit inside the car - and make it easier for you

If you can't and have no TK or DI planned - I would shoot T2.8 to T4 and have the highlights blow... better to get something on the film and print down - then to have nothing

under-expose video - overexpose film

thanks

Rolfe

thx,

i have T4 inside, T8-11 outside, no additional light is posibble because i dont have any :( student budget :(

also no TK or DI... :(

for some other scenes i have 2 2KW an 2 850W reflectors for giving higher level in interiors...

thx for the advice i will try with some parallel test to see what suits best ...

thx again

thx for your reply

i am going to go with arri and 120m magazines.

50 D and both 200 and 500 T vision films.

i will need c.pol. filters ... and need to improvise holders for them, or try to get the same size of lens filters.

before i do some tests of film, i need one advice.

i have one shot inside the car, difference is exp is abot 3,5 4 stops. will the film get details n the shadow of the car interior if i set exp to outside light situation? :) thx

Shoot a test, this will give you a better idea of how the films handle contrast. A test will give you the best idea of what the image will look like.

All The Best,

Allen Achterberg

thx,

i have T4 inside, T8-11 outside, no additional light is posibble because i dont have any :( student budget :(

also no TK or DI... :(

for some other scenes i have 2 2KW an 2 850W reflectors for giving higher level in interiors...

thx for the advice i will try with some parallel test to see what suits best ...

thx again

Hi

Use nd gels on the windows of the car are not very expensive for a student. But i like the outside of the car

to be a litle burned from the inside .It looks unatural if they look the same.

Shoot a test, this will give you a better idea of how the films handle contrast. A test will give you the best idea of what the image will look like.

All The Best,

Allen Achterberg

you are deff. right.... i will do that... :)

Hi

Use nd gels on the windows of the car are not very expensive for a student. But i like the outside of the car

to be a litle burned from the inside .It looks unatural if they look the same.

that is great idea.

i will def. get some gels, i was looking some films for the last 2-3 weeks (where there is a camera inside the car) ... a saw a lots of lightas that are moving with the car... but we have no possabiliry of doing that :D

thx again for this very useful idea. :)