Seeking knowledge and user experiences with the Kinor SP16

Patrick Cooper

Ive become quite interested in the Kinor SP16, mainly due to the multiple running speeds. However, there is very little information about this camera on the internet. I've heard good thing about the popular Kinor SX-2M and it seems highly regarded. I'm wondering if the 16SP is as reliable as the SX-2M. I do know that the 16SP does not have a registration pin, though I wonder how steady the footage is when running at 64fps. Of course the Bolex H16 and my Canon 1014E super 8 do not have registration pins either though they still produce remarkably steady footage at high speeds. Then again, I have heard of some 16mm cameras producing jittery footage at high speeds.

Additionally, does the SP16 have a mirror shutter? I find that my Krasnogorsk 3 has a better viewfinder than the Bolex H16 and it's easier to focus....perhaps the K3 utilises better ground glass. For those who are experienced with the SP16, how would you say ease of viewfinder focussing compares with a Bolex and a K3? Also, does the SP16 have a different bayonet lens mount to the SX-2M? If so, how steady is this mount compared to something like an Arriflex bayonet mount? Finally, what are the qaulity of the optics like on the SP16 lenses, particularly the 10mm prime lens?

Ive become quite interested in the Kinor SP16, mainly due to the multiple running speeds. However, there is very little information about this camera on the internet. I've heard good thing about the popular Kinor SX-2M and it seems highly regarded. I'm wondering if the 16SP is as reliable as the SX-2M. I do know that the 16SP does not have a registration pin, though I wonder how steady the footage is when running at 64fps. Of course the Bolex H16 and my Canon 1014E super 8 do not have registration pins either though they still produce remarkably steady footage at high speeds. Then again, I have heard of some 16mm cameras producing jittery footage at high speeds.

Additionally, does the SP16 have a mirror shutter? I find that my Krasnogorsk 3 has a better viewfinder than the Bolex H16 and it's easier to focus....perhaps the K3 utilises better ground glass. For those who are experienced with the SP16, how would you say ease of viewfinder focussing compares with a Bolex and a K3? Also, does the SP16 have a different bayonet lens mount to the SX-2M? If so, how steady is this mount compared to something like an Arriflex bayonet mount? Finally, what are the qaulity of the optics like on the SP16 lenses, particularly the 10mm prime lens?

The some seller on e-buy, call of russian 16 mm professional cine camera ( turret camera with rheostat motor and 30 m and 60 m film magazines ) similar of Kinor SP-16 . This is not correct.

16 SP and Kinor-16 SX two different cameras and not need mix of this cameras.

Teh information about 16SP camera you can see on my site.

This is 16 mm professional cine camera , made on 60..70 years, have transport mechanism with one transport pin, have varibale speed motor with manual speed control, with rheostat control, have turret for 3 lenses. The lens mount similar of lens mount of Kransogorsk-1, 2 cameras. The camera can have 30 m and 60 m film magazines. The 60 m film magazine can load 90 m rools of film maximum. This is not 120m film magazine.

The system of film magazine a some complex and can have not full press of film on film track.

Teh camera have mirror shitter disk and mechanism of control of angle of shutter disk ( similar mechanism of angle control have Kinor-16 SX-1M camera ).

16 SP have transport mechanism with one transport pin.

Kinor-16 can be run with crystal sych speed 48, 50 fps. I think, the speed 64 fps not problem for Kinor-16 X too.

Any case, the camera with registration pin have more high stability from camera without registration pin.

If you be delighted with viewfinder of Krasnoghrosk , you not see viewfinder of Kinor-16 camera.

This is real bright viewfinder with very good possibility of focusing of lens.

I can compare of viewfinder of Kransogrosk and Kinor-16 and i can tell Kinor-16 , the better.

I have not 16 SP now and can not compare of viewfinder, but, from my memory ( i used 16 SP a many years ago ) i had not high opinion about 16 SP viewfinder.

The some lenses of 16 SP and prme lenses of Kinor-16 have similar of optical blocks.

If need, i can compare detailed.

16 Sp have professional prime lenses and i recommend use of prime lenses from 16 SP with Kransogrosk cameras too.

10 mm lens have very good quality.

But, The any camera with turret have gap between parts of turret and body and this gap can influence on quality of image.

That' s why, the camera with mono lens mount, better, from camera with turret.

Thankyou for the the information, Olex. Much appreciated! That is interesting that you mentioned that the 16SX can run at 64fps - though do you need a special accessory motor for that?

I think, Not need special motor, we can use original 29EPSS motor.

A some calculation.

64 fps = 64 turns per second of axis of mechanism and output shaft of motor.

29EPSS motor have reducer 2:1, the speed of motor must be 64 x 2 = 128 turns per sec of 7680 turns per minute.

DPR-72-06 DC motor of 29EPSS have maximum speed of 6000 turns per minutes with 12 v.

You can run motor on forced mode with speed 7680 ( + 28% ).

I think, this not problem for DPR motor, because DPR motor have power reserve.

But, i worry about transport mechanism and other parts of Kinor-16 camera.

This must be mechanism with very good condition and high balancing of all parts.

The motor must have soft start, similar of procedure of start with new microprocessor controller.

I think, you need crystal synch speed.

I can design of special edition of microprocessor controller of motor with crystal sync speeds for high speed with speeds :

12.5, 16, 24, 25, 30, 32, 33.3 40, 48, 50 , 60, 64, 66.6 fps.

I think, wil need use 24V battery, possible, the 20 V battery will good too, need check.