Making Tungston Lamps Daylight Balanced

Corey Bringas

So how do you do it? I have a shoot comming up where I'm shooting some day interior stuff. I haven't yet seen the location in person, though i know there are big windows throughout the house. Most likely I'll be getting enough light from outside (shooting on 7205) but I may want to add a little fill here and there. I only have tungston balanced lights. Do I throw 1/2 CTB, Full, quarter? Thanks for answering what probably is a rather amature question.

-Corey

typically you put full ctb on a tungsten source, to correct 3200K to 5500K daylight. Sometimes daylight is warmer or cooler, so that's why you have different densities of ctb and cto. Just compare the two sources with you eye and see if they match. If not, get another filter.

• Premium Member

Don't underestimate the latitude of Kodak '05 stock. Their claim of its ability to work with mixed lighting isn't mere advertising hype. I've gotten amazingly well balanced results using 5205 with a combination of daylight and uncorrected tungsten practicals. (Maybe I owe all the credit to my colorist, but at least I gave him something he could work with.)