bolex H16 EL

Vedran Rapo

If you go to the section of the forum that has all the tech manuals, you can download the manual for the Bolex 400ft mag and it'll show you how to load the film into the camera using a fully loaded magazine w/o having to do the whole procedure in a changing bag i.e. mag loaded before hand in changing bag, magazine put on camera, then in the light, a loop of film pulled out into camera and manaully loaded into the camera body .

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

thx ... i got that, but, where do i put filters?

i have Tungsten film, need to put filter to convert ti to daylight balanced film... but where i cannot find it :(

another thing, in the bottom of the camera, there is a little swich ... (where u plug in el. power) what is it for?

thx ... i got that, but, where do i put filters?

i have Tungsten film, need to put filter to convert ti to daylight balanced film... but where i cannot find it :(

another thing, in the bottom of the camera, there is a little swich ... (where u plug in el. power) what is it for?

Re: filters. You're better off using a screw in filter on the front of whatever lens you're using since behind the lens filters can throw off critical focus.

As for the switch, I can't help you there as I've got an EBM. You could try Jaako at www.jkcamera.com or Dieter at Procam www.bolex-usa.com ; they should know.

yes, that is the biggest problem... critcal focus...

i was thinking puting in behing the bolex c adapter... but... critical focus... :(

i have no screw on filters for all lenses... i have for none btw. :( and i am not sure where in croatia i can buy so small filters :(

i need them by friday :(

Guest Glenn Brady

There's a small lever toward the rear of the camera next to the socket for sync pulse and crystal control accessories that's a slating lamp switch. Maybe that's what you're describing.

There's a small lever toward the rear of the camera next to the socket for sync pulse and crystal control accessories that's a slating lamp switch. Maybe that's what you're describing.

yes, thats it ... :)

do u have any knownolage about filters on this camera?

Guest Glenn Brady
do u have any knownolage about filters on this camera?

The camera was supplied from the factory with four gelatine filter holders, one of which must always be in position in the slot behind the lens (to prevent light leaks). If you're unable to find the appropriate screw-in filter(s) for the front of the lens, you may be able to find gelatine filter material that, when cut to size, can be inserted in one of the holders.

Edited by Glenn Brady

The camera was supplied from the factory with four gelatine filter holders, one of which must always be in position in the slot behind the lens (to prevent light leaks). If you're unable to find the appropriate screw-in filter(s) for the front of the lens, you may be able to find gelatine filter material that, when cut to size, can be inserted in one of the holders.

And not just light leaks. If your zoom or any wide angle lenses have been collimated with a gel in place and you shoot with out one your back focus will be off appx. one third the thickness of the gel ( around .0015" ). This is enough of an error to blow a split or an infinity shot with wide angle lenses.

Chuck

The gelatin filter holders are small metal frames that slide into a cavity in the lens mounting plate. The gelatin is sandwiched between the two halves of the frame. The filter holders look like this: http://cepa.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_c...lterholder.html.

The Bayonet mount Bolex do not use this filter holder ... they use larger round (~59mm OD) ones of which there are two types... there is a screw in type that screws in the mount and the variety which just gets sandwhiched between the lens and mount to hold it in place (pretty much in the same place as the screw-in version) ...

However, the non-threaded ones will not fit into a threaded type baynot mount. (annoying)

And thats just the EL...

The SBM bayonet mount appears to accept neither of these filter holders, and has one instead that looks similar to the last link provided, but is again not quite correct, they have long articualted arms to get the filter right into the mount when needed and out again to bend around and clip into a special recess to stay out of the way when not required ... Again, there appears to be two different varieties of these and they are no interchangable (one is 'skinnier' than the other)

Both the two types of round filter holder and the 'long arm' SB/SBM (EBM??) look pretty much exactly the same in photos ... (annoying#2)

I'm sorry its not helpful :huh:

Guest Glenn Brady

Nick, thank you for the correction. I assumed, incorrectly, that the gelatin filter holders on the EL would bear some resemblance to those used on the H16 RX series.