Will the Nikon DX (digital camera) lenses give full coverage for Super 16mm?

Zachary Vex

Guest Film Runner
Has anyone tried using the Nikon DX lenses with a Super 16 camera?

They'll cover, if you can mount them.

Sensor size on a D70 is 16mm by 24mm, bigger than the Super 16mm aperture.

F.R.

Guest Film Runner
Has anyone tried using the Nikon DX lenses with a Super 16 camera?

I checked your previous posts. I see you have a Super 16mm modified Kodak K100?

Have you shot with it yet?

I heard the K100 gives rock steady images, even though it isn't pin registered, I heard that it's steadier than a Bolex, K3 and Bell Howell Filmo. Is that true?

What are your results with this nice beast?

F.R.

I have a Les Bosher Nikon adapter. Do the DX lenses have a different mount than standard Nikon lenses?

Nope, they will fit fine on any standard Nikon mount.

My friend has a D70 and uses standard Nikon F-mount lenses on his D70 all the time.

Going the other way, the "DX" lens wll fit a normal Nikon 35mm mount but won't cover the 35mm frame. Soem of the DX zoom will cover through some of there some range but not on the wide end.

But the "DX" lense will cover Super 16mm.

Never tried, I haven't got a nikon mount adapter.

F.R.

I have a Les Bosher Nikon adapter. Do the DX lenses have a different mount than standard Nikon lenses?

Nope, they will fit fine on any standard Nikon mount.

My friend has a D70 and uses standard Nikon F-mount lenses on his D70 all the time.

Going the other way, the "DX" lens wll fit a normal Nikon 35mm mount but won't cover the 35mm frame. Soem of the DX zoom will cover through some of there some range but not on the wide end.

But the "DX" lense will cover Super 16mm.

Never tried, I haven't got a nikon mount adapter.

F.R.

I just shot some slow-mo helicopter footage in Las Vegas with my super 16mm K100. I haven't done a transfer yet so I haven't looked at the results, but I'll try to post back in this thread when I have time to do that.

Thanks for the info on the DX lenses... although the SLR community is irritated with Nikon for introducing this DX series, it certainly seems like a boon to those of us with Nikon adapters on Super 16mm cameras! Now I've got to visit bidslammer and cancel some Nikon bids...

Guest Ian Marks

Yebbutt... do these lenses have an aperture ring? I think some of the Nikon lenses do and some, like the DX, don't.

I like having an aperture ring, but I'm kind of old-fashioned that way...

Guest Film Runner
I just shot some slow-mo helicopter footage in Las Vegas with my super 16mm K100. I haven't done a transfer yet so I haven't looked at the results, but I'll try to post back in this thread when I have time to do that.

Thanks for the info on the DX lenses... although the SLR community is irritated with Nikon for introducing this DX series, it certainly seems like a boon to those of us with Nikon adapters on Super 16mm cameras! Now I've got to visit bidslammer and cancel some Nikon bids...

Helio footage. Very Cool!

Post a clip when you get a chance!

Yup. The DX lenses are very nice.

F.R.

I hope there won't be any issues with the flange focal depth or collimation when mounting digital still lenses on a K100 16mm camera. Also, with the lenses that don't have aperture rings, I don't see any way how you could change the aperture when such lenses are mounted on a 16mm camera.

"No aperture ring??? That's no good! Forget the DX series then. Thanks!"

I'm not sure about that. I'm a Canon shooter myself. Though I do know that many modern lenses for slr still cameras (both 35mm and digital) have no aperture ring. However, there might be a possibility that some of these Nikkor DX lenses may have an aperture ring. A small chance but you never know.......

• Premium Member

Yes, DX lenses are cheaper because they removed the aperture ring (and generally use plastic materials for housing the lens); therefore they won't work for movie cameras. The fully automatic cameras like all their digital SLRs and the F100 35mm control the aperture anyway so this was "extra" for most photographers.

Even the non-DX lenses with an aperture ring might have to be modified slightly. The K3 uses M42 mount lenses and Pentax had that great "Super Takumar" lens line that has an auto/manual switch so you could manually operate the aperture.

Only the fully manual Nikon lenses would be advised. Nikon still makes a HUGE selection of these (or at least they maintain a huge inventory and selection) and they are wonderful glass.

I would love to see a c-mount to Nikon adapter; those Nikon lenses must look strange on a K-100.