23.98 fps on camera

Hello,

I'm in PAL country, I have a film I'm going to shoot on HD F900R on steadycam (all the time) and record sound on DAT.

I'm getting a picture for my steadycam monitor using the sdi output.

I need to get a composite picture also for my director monitor, which is conected through a video pal transmitor.

When choosing 24 fps on camera - it doesn't work.

When choosing 23.98 fps on camera - it works.

my quastion is what frame rate should the DAT run?

thanks,

Ariel.

In PAL counties it's usually easier to shoot at 25P because most post production facilities are set up for it.

In the US they always shoot at 23.98 - not 24P - you should set your DAT up for the same frame rate. However, you should check that your post people can handle this frame rate. I've heard one major UK television production had problems in post when they decided to shoot at 23.98fps.

In the US they always shoot at 23.98 - not 24P - you should set your DAT up for the same frame rate. However, you should check that your post people can handle this frame rate. I've heard one major UK television production had problems in post when they decided to shoot at 23.98fps.

That's not quite correct. DAT's and other audio devices should be set at 29.97, NonDropFrame if the camera is running at 23.98 (and 30NDF if the camera is rolling at 24). As for problems related to 23.98, that depends on what equipment is available in post. In many cases, an HDCamSR is used for playback. The HDCam SR 5500 will play back any format as any other without problems. In other words, it can play back 23.98 as 24, or even as 25, depending upon how you set it up. Time code is another issue, of course, because material running at 24 played back as 25 will be running faster, so original time codes will be completely invalid. There is no time code difference between 23.98 and 24 however, as both use a 24 frame rollover.