HD Cinestyle zoom lenses on SDX?

darrin p nim

Hows the DOF with HD Cinestyle zoom lenses? Compared to 35mm. Is it more or less shallow? I figure less but how much less, is it drastic? I need fairly shallow DOF and im trying to figure which lense will give me what i want. Im considering something around the ballpark of 11x 5-55mm with a min. T2. Ideas?

Edited by Darrin P Nim

a couple of weeks ago i compared sided-by-side fuji's 10x10 cine-style zoom, a fuji 17x7.8 cine zoom, a pro35 adapter with a set of zeiss superspeeds, and a fuji eng zoom. there was no percievable difference in dof between the 10x10, the 17x7.8, and the eng lens. the pro35 adapter, however, provided a very shallow dof in comparison. the 10x10 is huge and pretty expensive; the cost of renting the pro35 + lenses was slightly less expensive. personally, i liked the look of the pro35 the best. if anything the 'cine-style' zooms rendered a sharper image though, these were on a varicam and cinealta respectively, while the pro35 and eng lens were on an sdx900. if a shallow depth of field is really what your looking for you should consider the pro35 if you haven't already...

_ryan

Hi,

DOF is determined (to put it in a very simplified way) by the aperture on the lens and by the format you are shooting on (image, or ship size for digital) the type of lens (eng/cine style or even prime versus zoom) isn't the determining factor in DOF. The Pro35 purposely uses 35mm format image rcorded onto the Cam's CCD using a ocilating ground glass in order to give you 35mm DOF, there's no lens that will by itself (without a modifying adaptor) give you 35mm or 16mm DOF on HD, there are charts that show what stop you would have to open up to on HD in order to get a coresponding 35mm/16mm DOF.