Does Varicam Need HD Lenses?

Guest Pete Wright

Guest Pete Wright

Lenses always have some reserve; good lenses will handle significantly higher resolution than that. SD lenses will handle: 720x576... PAL SD (progressive)

Varicam records the following resolution, which is within the resolution of most SD lenses: 960x720... Varicam recorder section

HD lenses are made for the following resolution but all should resolve more: 1920x1080... progressive = F950

My conclusion: If PAL Digi Beta and PAL SDX 900 can use SD lenses, so can Varicam, although both would benefit from HD lenses, with Varicam slightly more so.

I'm back just for the weekend, have to go now,

pete

correct. HD lenses where developed for a reason, and that reason was for an Hd camera.

HD cameras dont "Require" HD lenses. You can put the worst 2/3" SD lense on an HD cameras. But what you'll get will be less than acceptable.

Thats the best I can explain it...

• 2 weeks later...

Another pointless statistical comparison. HD lenses improve the image even on a SD camera, so certainly the difference will be visible on a Varicam.

When Pete Wright first started posting I thought he was a newbie who had been confused by much of the chatter that goes on the various video forums. I tried to clear things up for him but he insists on making the same meaningless comparisons and mixing measurements and statistics in incompatible and misleading ways. I have come to believe that he is once again the same fellow who went by Ultra Definition and other monikers and have decided that unless someone can tell me differently that I will no longer respond to his wasting of bandwidth.

Guest Frank Miller

Mitch,

Why these attacks, please! Read the guy's post. He is correct. You're attacking something that he is not saying. I realize that you've shot Varicam only in HD. I compared both the Digi Beta and Varicam image quality and the Digi Beta is better.

Frank

• 4 months later...