Nikon R10 Internal vs. External Metering and 1st test run

Joseph Ivey

I just got my R10 and am wondering if it is better to use the internal meter or an external meter. I have a Sekonic 508 for my still photography and it can handle 18, 24, and 54 fps metering.

Also, how do I know if the automatic metering is working. I have yet to buy film to test the camera, but I have played around with it and I have not noticed that it is reading the light changes. Does the needle only register light changes when film is loaded? What is the best way to do that?

One more thing, what tests should I run with what type of film as a 1st cart test run?

I appreciate all the help I have received in these forums lately.

I just got my R10 and am wondering if it is better to use the internal meter or an external meter. I have a Sekonic 508 for my still photography and it can handle 18, 24, and 54 fps metering.

Also, how do I know if the automatic metering is working. I have yet to buy film to test the camera, but I have played around with it and I have not noticed that it is reading the light changes. Does the needle only register light changes when film is loaded? What is the best way to do that?

One more thing, what tests should I run with what type of film as a 1st cart test run?

I appreciate all the help I have received in these forums lately.

I just shot a few tests rolls of E64T in a Nikon R10 I recently acquired. It's at the lab right now. In my tests, I compared the camera's meter readings to my external meter readings under various lighting conditions. For each condition, I wrote down the camera settings and meter readings on a card and placed it in the shot for reference. When the footage comes back, I'll be able to tell how accurate the internal meter is or at least how much it differentiates from my handheld meter.

The needle should move even when the camera is empty. Mine was stuck when I first got it. I posted a thread about getting it unstuck about a month ago...

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...69&hl=nikon

A great camera, now that I've got it working!

Good luck!

TD