Krasnogorsk K-3 footage COLOR ONLY

dasonras

I'm interested in viewing samples of footage shot on the K-3, but it has to be color film. I am tired of watching poorly exposed BW. Specifically, looking for vision2 series stock.

I saw one clip on the internet; it was a music video.

Thanks

I'm afraid I can only help in that I have shot with a K-3. I used the original 50D before it had been discontinued. I cannot post it as it is a workprint. I can say that I was extremely impressed as my expectations were low. The camera performed beautifully, the lens was sharp and clear as for as my work in 16mm has been. I would say for the money you can buy no better a camera. If 16mm is something you are just getting into, then a K-3 or Bolex Rex is a great camera to start with.

You'll find many people continue to use them for a variety of purposes even when other more "professional" camera's are available. It all has to do with your project, it's needs, and how they can be accomplished.

I'm interested in viewing samples of footage shot on the K-3, but it has to be color film. I am tired of watching poorly exposed BW. Specifically, looking for vision2 series stock.

I'm offended quite honestly (just kidding). I've sent a million people my samples of my k-3 and easily available if you search this forum . I can send you perfectly normal exposed footage if you give me some time too as I have many beautiful shots in both color and black and white. I know what examples you're talking about and those where shot with really old film not current 7265 or 7266 if memory serves correct. But here's an example that I posted on a thread a while back also it contains some other samples.

K3 samples

We're still in post working on the sound and I'm doing a few other things but hopefully sooner or later we'll have a small trailer up so everyone can see it in action. Also I tweaked the color myself in the final product.

Thanks

I looked every where for a sample from some shots I did for a test, but can not find it. I bought a Super 16 K3, shot two rolls of 7274 that I had in the fridge and the results were stellar. I highly recommend the camera. Keep in mind what it is, a MOS, hand wound camera. If you get one, have it overhauled and converted to S16 by Duall. Good luck.

chris

I'm offended quite honestly (just kidding). I've sent a million people my samples of my k-3 and easily available if you search this forum . I can send you perfectly normal exposed footage if you give me some time too as I have many beautiful shots in both color and black and white. I know what examples you're talking about and those where shot with really old film not current 7265 or 7266 if memory serves correct. But here's an example that I posted on a thread a while back also it contains some other samples.

K3 samples

We're still in post working on the sound and I'm doing a few other things but hopefully sooner or later we'll have a small trailer up so everyone can see it in action. Also I tweaked the color myself in the final product.

Oh, i wasn't talking about only stuff i've seen on the net; i've watched many BW films in person at NYU.

I am just tired of that film-noir crunch shooting that so many do with this camera. I've seen some BW footage from the K-3 and it was superbly utilized. Looked just like a 1950 glamour film.

Anyways, what i am finding is that people who used light meter had good control over the exposure. Those who relied on the internal meter alone, came out with very contrasty film.

I've shot vision2 super-8 film and was exremely impressed with the exposure range and color lattitude. With this is in mind, i am very anxious to see what a vision2 stock looks like at 16mm on this ca/m /

Did you check out my photos in that forum? It's really better in motion and my final color corrections and all but just to see it on the screen it's amazing so much so I really wish I had the money to get a print done so I can have my movie projected instead of watching it on telecined footage on mini-dv.

Those who relied on the internal meter alone, came out with very contrasty film

Never use that light meter. Also the contrastiness appears to come from the zoom lens in my opinion, not from the meter which you could consciously over/under exposed if you wanted to. Look at my photos and try and guess which one I used a 35mm slr M42 lens (a 28mm and a 55mm) vs. the meteor zoom. I originally thought it was a difference in film stocks (fuji vs. kodak) but no it's more the lens as I've used the camera in more and more situations I've noticed it.

Here's a "short" I made, originally just me testing the damn camera out before I really invested in something. A lot of it is underexposed and this was when all I had was the zoom and the 55mm lens in an extremely small area, thus all the weird close ups and even worse, transfered on an elmo but whatever it gives an idea, it's black and white but still gives more of an idea.

I just think you have to take in consideration who did the telecine and color correcting work as I think if I had more cash and sprung for a supervised transfer, those photos I have on the other thread would look a lot better. The best possible way to see results is just buy a roll and see for youself, just image your super 8 results but with so much more resolution.

What are y'all's opinions on the stock lens? how sharp is it?

I think it's very under-rated. At f4, it compared favorably against the m42 primes I had (they were also at f4 since a couple of the wide lenses started around f3.5). As has been mentioned a lot in these forums, most of the complaints against the stock lens is due probably to low quality control at the factory.

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Hey, first post - woop! I've just had some K3 colour footage telecined.

You can check it out here http://www.frozenflameweb.com/k3

Nothing special, just shows you some mediocre samples of quickly shot footage on the K3 :)