k3 film plane

Jack Schwitz

quick question, where do you measure the distance to talent on a K-3? I dont see any distinguished markings on the side showing the film plane.

thanks

I think, you not need high precision of this marks.

You can set mark on middle, on lug of front edge of lid ( from side of zoom ).

Or use gap between front edge of lid and body.

But, My recommendation, You need focusing of lens by sharpness image on ground glass, because, from my experience of service of K-3 cameras, the many zoom lens and cameras have different a flange focal distance and distance marks on focusing ring and real distance can be mismatch a somewhat.

You can set zoom lens on tele position ( 69 mm ) , and focusing of lens.

The zoom lens on " tele " position will have short DOF distance and focusing will easy.

Next, you can set zoom on correct position.

quick question, where do you measure the distance to talent on a K-3? I dont see any distinguished markings on the side showing the film plane.

thanks

Unless you are: ( shooting something fairly close, using a big lens, or your aperture is wide open ) the DOF will usually be sufficient to cover the camera. In any case next time you are loading film, note where the pressure plate pushes the film up to the gate. That will be the focusing plane for your camera and is most likely the point to measure from, but if you need it razor sharp use the ground glass.

I think, you not need high precision of this marks.

You can set mark on middle, on lug of front edge of lid ( from side of zoom ).

Or use gap between front edge of lid and body.

But, My recommendation, You need focusing of lens by sharpness image on ground glass, because, from my experience of service of K-3 cameras, the many zoom lens and cameras have different a flange focal distance and distance marks on focusing ring and real distance can be mismatch a somewhat.

You can set zoom lens on tele position ( 69 mm ) , and focusing of lens.

The zoom lens on " tele " position will have short DOF distance and focusing will easy.

Next, you can set zoom on correct position.

So i should trust my eye.

I have been collecting some pentax primes as well, I should trust my eye with those as well then?

So i should trust my eye.

I have been collecting some pentax primes as well, I should trust my eye with those as well then?

I hope, your camera adjusted correct and have correct position of ground glass and the sharpness image on the ground glass will have sharpness images on film too.

Pentax primes have similar flange focal distance 45.5 mm +/- 0.2 mm, but, flange focal distance must have

exact value and any smal inaccuracy will move of focusing scale of lens on any side.

Any case, the focusing by eye have more high result.